What's new

Noise when cold starting?!

Hamid92

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type S
Just a quick thread on a noise I have been hearing recently when starting the car when it's cold. It started a few weeks back and I haven't really took it seriously but now I am. When the car is cold like last night I turn it on and as it is turning on a choking kind of noise is coming from the engine bay! Sometimes the car turns on then that noise comes. It doesn't stay it comes then goes straight away. Kind of sounds like erm, imagine your car is running and you try and turn the key past ignition and it makes a weird noise? Same kind of thing! Could it be the alternator or starter motor or something similar?

Also I have the dreaded clutch pedal creak when pushing it down! It happened about a year ago and I literally had my pants taken down by the stealers they said I need a new clutch and a new clutch master cylinder :s! And now it's back, can't be gone again surely right?

Thank you all

Hamid the clutch noise can be sorted out by the diy below.If its under 1 year then the new master cylinder will still be covered by warranty.
As for the other noise it might just be the barrel sticking when the key is turned.Or the starter motor running over.
Can you get a vid up of the noise mate.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/46-diy-fix-clutch-creak-click-updated-6807/

I will do my best to get one soon! Will wait till tomorrow morning and see if it makes it. Actually I will go out now and see if it does

Brett I have one but don't know how to upload! Can you PM me your number and I can send it to you? Or email? Cheers mate

I have one now! Not the greatest but it gives you an idea! at about 8/9 seconds you will hear it.

http://youtu.be/mbP0eiIhRA8

That sounds like the starter motor over running I had this with my 7th gen diesel

It happens only when cold and I mean really cold and sometimes it happens after the car has turned on like the video and sometimes during start up!

Is it something I should fix asap? What did you do? Just wondering what to do mate

Sounds like a sticking solenoid on the starter.

Two main types of starter:
1. "inertia drive" aka Bendix which relies on spin to wind the starter pinion forward to engage with the flywheel teeth. This is no longer used AFAIK
2. "pre-engaged drive" in which the starter solenoid is used to mechanically move the pinion forward to engage with the flywheel teeth.

In 2, if the solenoid is "lazy" to move back, the starter motor will continue to run and the pinion stays engaged on the flywheel teeth. This is usually caused by a weak spring, or not enough grease, or dirt in the solenoid mechanism. Reason why it is worse when cold, is because the grease that is in there is "hard" when cold.

You do need to get it fixed, as it's not good for the pinion in the starter, nor the teeth on the flywheel, and eventually you may even find the oppostite situation ...the solenoid will not move out to engage (so nothing happens when you try to start the car).

It's an easy job on some cars, and on others it's not so easy .....it depends on access to remove the starter motor. Once it's off, the solenoid can be removed and cleaned up. An independent will do that, whereas a Honda dealer would just replace with a new one ....gulp :eek:

Thank you very much mate. So obviously I wil be taking it to an independant but what would I ask them to do? Not all clued up with starter motors etc.

Do you want another video to maybe confirm?

Maybe clarify when you said "and sometimes it happens after the car has turned on like the video and sometimes during start up"...... I'm not sure how to disentangle that sentence ;)

I presume that you mean that when it happens, it happens like this
1. put the key into the ignition on the steering wheel
2. turn the key to an intermedite position, or not (doesn't matter if you do or not)
3. turn the key fully clockwise
4. when the engine has started, release the key
5. you get the noise

If you get the noise in any other way, please explain.

If that is the only situation when you get the noise, then any garage will know what it is. They will know what to do, explain it the way I did above.

It's a problem ***ociated with the solenoid on the starter motor, it could be a dodgy key switch or wiring, most probably (and easier to fix) it's the solenoid itself.

If you have another video that is slightly different, put that one up as well :)

Great help mate thanks a bunch! Basically the only other time it makes that is when at step 3 you turn the key fully clockwise and while the car is starting it makes that noise not always after the car has started up! Does that make sense? So in the video when the car was actually starting at about 8/9 seconds it makes it and seems as if the car is going to cut out and not start! Will try and get another video

If I understand that ...

1. put the key into the ignition on the steering wheel
2. turn the key to an intermedite position, or not (doesn't matter if you do or not)
3. turn the key fully clockwise
4. you get the noise
5. you have to release the key because the engine is not turning

If so, then you need to get this fixed ASAP as the solenoid is not fully engaging the pinion, or you might be wearing out the teeth on the flywheel

Right yeah that's it! But I don't release the key because while the engine is turning I get that noise. So any reputable garages I should take it too or just any random one?

So simultaneously I get the engine turning and the noise! And other times it turns over then makes the noise like the video

the parts prices for the starter on my 2.4 are in the link below
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=E__0710&block_03=445

#3 is the complete starter @ £312

which is strange because the solenoid itself #8 is £266, the armature #10 is £254, the pinion #11 is £232, and the shaft #13 is £210

I would say that if you went to a dealer, they will simply replace the complete starter, and you won't see much change from £500 with labour on top etc.

The labour price of an independent to strip down and repair should be less, but it depends whether the solenoid and/or the pinion is totally beggered, which then need replacng anyway, but you could get your own from a breakers (ebay etc) and take it to an independent and ask them to fit it.

If the teeth have been stripped from the flywheel then you're talking big big money :(

I'm going to a garage tomorrow who is a friend to see what the problem is I will report back! Good thing is he won't rip me off like most garages

If you can put up with the noise, just leave it. Sticking solenoid is not uncommon on Honda's.

My bro's CTR did it for all our ownership and 50+k BUT his only did it once on very cold mornings.

Just advising from experience, of course if OP is worried it's gonna fubar his flywheel then change it. can't see that personally if it does it like anything on the ctr

Yeah mine only happens in the morning when it is very very cold! Will get it checked out tomorrow and see what happens! Will report back, thanks guys

Hamid, did you get anywhere with this? Mine does this occasionally when it's particularly cold so I'm interested to hear if you got it fixed. Cheers

Hamid, did you get anywhere with this? Mine does this occasionally when it's particularly cold so I'm interested to hear if you got it fixed. Cheers
Hi mate!
Yes I took it to my mate and he checked everything out and said my starter motor is lazy or something along the lines of that! He said not to worry about it for now and just wait till it literally packs in then get it changed. So I said thanks and that's that!