What's new

Noisy passenger airbag cover

skhell

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8, 6th gen Accord
Hi guys!

I have a small, annoying "problem" in my Accord: I live in Évora, Portugal, it's a beautiful city, full of history, which has some problems ***ociated to historic things, the roads are quite bad, most of them are made of stones, which is very bad any car, making all kind of noises from every possible thing...

One of this noises is more irritating than the others, the plastic cover of the passenger airbag slide just a bit over the dashboard, causing an annoying noise, which immediately goes away when someone makes a bit pressure over it. For who is not visualizing the passenger airbag cover, here's a couple of pictures:

I was looking at eBay, and found the following anti-squeak/rattle adhesive tapes and though it might work on the airbag cover by gluing the thing under the cover, where the dashboard gets in contact with the airbag.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270949348080?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1289
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180856797063?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1056
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170802911288?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_866wt_1041

Has anyone had this issue?
How about this tapes, has anyone used them? Do they really work?

I am seriously thinking on buying one of those, probably the felt tape and put in other parts of the dashboard which makes a bit of noise.

I believe you are going to take airbag out? be careful:) I'm using double side sticking tape everywhere I want noise to disappear :) but not in such location like yours.

Take a look at thickness of tape before buying. if you will apply it under airbag cover it can make a gap on sides of it

I believe you are going to take airbag out? be careful:) I'm using double side sticking tape everywhere I want noise to disappear :) but not in such location like yours.

Take a look at thickness of tape before buying. if you will apply it under airbag cover it can make a gap on sides of it

Yeah, I will have to remove it. I already did a couple of years ago to try to understand the problem. It's not very easy, just disconnected the battery 10 minutes before doing anything, just to be sure :ph34r:

The first thing that came to my mind was double side sticking tape, but in the airbag I don't want to risk it, although if it ever blow, I guess it will tear the center of the cover...

I am aware of the thickness. They say the felt tape is 1mm thick, maybe it's a bit too thick to apply here, but can say after testing. The other tape seems quite thin, I guess it will not make a larger gap.

Don't know if it's worth to try it...

Take it out and test it like these guys did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YLIwzbbyM

^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pedro is it the wooden trim that's starting to rattle?

Not heard of that before mate.

Seems a strange thing to rattle. Hope everything goes will with the sticking it down/removal of the airbag dude.

Sometimes, when the road is very bad i have the same problem, but its not so anoying like in your case ;)

I have the same problem now. It makes some noise and srs light is coming on now. DTC 2-1.

have anybody any tips about removing passengers airbag ?

I have the same problem now. It makes some noise and srs light is coming on now. DTC 2-1.

have anybody any tips about removing passengers airbag ?

I actually managed to remove some of the noise.
I took some pictures of the procedure, but didn't had time to make a guide. I might do it in a couple of days, if I got the time.

In a few words, to remove the airbag, you need to remove the plastic cover in front of the passenger legs(just pull it), then you need to remove glove box. After that, you can find 3 nuts which hold the air bag. After that, you need to use something to put in between the gap of the air bag cover and the dashboard to separate the air bag cover. After that, you just pull it from the top of the dashboard. Don't forget to disconnect the airbag wires. Its highly recommended to do this with the battery off.

Hmm....in these hot days on bumpy roads it starts to rattle much more, but when I put my hand over it, the rattle dissapears.
Its annoying, please put some pictures how passinger airbag looks from the downside when its out.
Cheers.

I used to have a rattle inside the dash board in my old SE. Turned out to be the whole of the pollen filter that was rattling :lol:

Hello Pedro,

Can you post some pictures how it looks now?
The anti rattle material that you installed, is it visible under the srs cover?

My passinger airbag cover became very noisy and its getting on my nervs :)
I must do something like you did.