What's new

Noisy Valves

lilcow418

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type-S
i havnt had my valves adjusted yet but honda recommend you get them adjusted at 110k mines just got to 113k and actually started making the sound at around 110k lol but some people say a loosey tappet is a happy tappet is this true i can put up with the slight tapping noise as long as its not going to hard the engine?

If it were me I would get them checked for good measure

Is it definitely the valves? I find injectors are about the noisiest things on the top end these days.

Out of interest, what's the routine for the valves on the 2.4 in terms of checks and adjustments?

Some people will say it's better to have it too loose and having it too tight will damage the engine, and others will say the opposite. Invariably these people are not mechanics and are just using a lack of knowledge to base their reasoning on.

Every car has a set tolerance which the valves should operate within. Too tight or too loose will result in premature wear and poor performance. If the valves are outside the tolerances specified then it's best to get them adjusted. If your valves are noisy it would suggest the gap to the tappets is too big.