What's new

Not very impressed!

Before I bought the Accord, the most I'd ever paid for a car was £2500 for a K reg 1.4 Ax diesel in 1998. That in fact was the most reliable car I've ever owned.

Most recently I've had experience of a Volvo s40 with 130K on the clock, which had a very expensive engine issue ready to pounce on the VVT shaft. But before that went, the gearbox imploded, after I'd spent money fixing the rear calipers. I sold it on to a breaker for the £350 I'd payed for it, but it had a renault gearbox, and I think the engine might have had renault engineering too.

I've also owned for 12 years a 1.8 cavalier. If you want easy repairs and cheap parts, you can't really beat a non cat, carb'd 8V vauxhall. recently did the rear brakes on that for £12, plus £7 quid for a wheel cylinder.
I also spent 50 quid on sills and 40 quid on welding consumables along with 2 whole days on my back welding in order to get it an MOT.

When I was looking for a modern diesel I did lots of homework, but in the end I decided to be 'different' and not buy a mundano or a vectrash.My only issue is the lack of a manual.

just my bit.... like most of you i also done some research before purchased honda. survey in 2011 rated highly lexus is 220d, went to dealers and this was pointed out (jd survey) thought great until went on forum where was put off from buying as most owners said dont and you were given a horrendous list of issues!!
A few years ago got the mondeo st tdci a very popular car i had little trouble with ....but forum indicated difficulties with egr, dual mass fly wheel, injectors, drooping bumpers, heated seats not working to name some of problems.
Then bought subaru wrx petrol. had two years, split radiator hose was only problem. It can be very hard to predict as any mechanical piece of kit can be prone to sudden failure, nothing has 100% guaruntee that it will not fail.
Hondas do have a good genral reputation for decent quality though - diesel accord owner - no complaints yet!!!

I mean this in the nicest possible way. Just because it has a Honda badge on the front does not mean it is unbreakable.

Most reliable car I owned was the Rover 214i 8 valve. There was hardly an engine in it. Nothing fancy at all.

You've bought an 07 car with 114k miles on it. It had a warranty repair (good thing), and new brakes (pretty standard requirement in any car).
It now has an air con compressor problem, and most likely needs a timing chain due to wrong/bad oil changes in it's life.

And you think THAT's enough to be unimpressed with it! You're calling it unreliable because of 2 minor faults.

Go and buy ANY other 07 diesel with 100k+ miles and run it for a year, then come back to us.

Perspective is a marvelous thing :lol:

Probably - not bothered to log in for 12 days....

My workmate had a 2005 Mazda 6 diesel - bought new, cherished & serviced to the book, got to 120k miles when the DPF unit failed. Final dealer bill to repair this along with new discs all round came to 5 grand. Similarly BMW 330D with 90K miles had the same DPF issue with a bill for 4 grand.

Old cars will sooner or later get big bills. Fact.

Same dilemma with my 04 Accord. Its ready for a clutch, exhaust, wheel bearing, discs all round. You either throw money at it, or sell it tomorrow & risk buying someone elses problems

i wouldnt be so quick to jump into a 6 mps, they have issues like vvt actuator failure, stretched chains, turbo oil seals, faulty chain tensioners, diff issues, rear diff mounts made of butter and worse still zoom zoom boom con rods out of the block. Finding a good one is a feet in itself as even the youngest ones are 06 reg and probably remapped by someone who doesnt know the engines.

Any accord cant be compared anyway as 6 mps is a performance car with awd and the Accord is not trying to target such a customer demographic.

My last 04 Accord diesel I did 150k miles in 3 years as a taxi , all that ever went wrong was an alternator , needed a new battery and ball joints bushes etc but this was down to constant driving round streets with speed bumps , I didnt even need to put a new clutch in , some of my friends with other makes of vehicles had to spend hundreds at every 6 months M.O.T test with there cars , all I did was service it and drive it normal and it looked after me , this is the reason I bought my wife an 07 Accord diesel as her personal car and ive since upgraded to an 06 Accord diesel for my taxi , overall im very happy with my Honda's , look after them and they'll serve you well