What's new

Odd internal noise

wobbin

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.2 EX
My Tourer has had a noise since I've had it which is driving me nuts slowly. The best way I can describe it is this:

Imagine that someone has wedged an empty aerosol spray paint can under the front passenger seat. As it's empty, the ball bearing inside the can is still when at rest, but when the car accelerates / decelerates / changes direction the ball is moving along the inside surface of the can.

I've looked everywhere and sadly there isn't a can, either under any of the seats or in the glovebox. It doesn't sound right for it to be door glass pieces stuck in the bottom of the door so I've ruled that out.

It looks as though there's a flat('ish) moulding that comes from the centre console to underneath the front seats, possibly a heater blower channel and I wondered if somehow something round had got into the open end and now can't get out so it's rattling around. I may have to pull the seat out to have a closer look (if only to give it a shake !)

Anyone else had this ?

Cheers
Robin

If i recall somebody described exactly the same (paint can) noise and it turned out it was the seat clicking on the runners as they wear out.

Thanks for the update Sal, looks like I'll have to get the seat off for a closer look.

As it has the electric seats I can imagine some sort of ballscrew arrangement possibly with a ball bearing at the end of the ballscrew rod so maybe it's fallen out of place and is rattling around in the frame perhaps. The seat works fine in every way and doesn't seem loose on the mountings.

If it'll stop raining and blowing a gale I might get round to taking a look this weekend.

Cheers
Robin

could be the passenger side seat belt buckle, I have mine in the anchor point when there is no passenger, it took a while for me to find that noise.

Thanks John, something else to check but I'm sure it's done it whilst SWMBO was in the passenger seat.

It sounds just like a ball bearing sliding a distance of 5 inches on a thin metal surface.

Cheers
Robin

As above the seat is moving on the runners, common on seat with electrical adjustment and has been mentioned a few times on the others site.

I almost wish it was that..... had the passenger seat out completely and went for a drive and the noise was still there :lol: Also caused an airbag warning light but fortunately this cleared itself once the seat was back in.

I'm certain now that the noise is coming from the plastic heater outlet but unfortunately this is fitted under the carpet and in order to get it out I'll have to take out both seats, centre console, door seals, carpet etc.

I may try a magnet on a stick with the car facing up a steep hill in the hope that whatever is rattling about is ferrous, but failing that I think i'll have to live with it.

The air outlets are level with the carpet at the end of the moulding then it right angles and drops down by 15mm or so, so it would be quite easy for something to get stuck in there. Great way to frustrate an Accord owner if you so wished !!

Cheers
Robin

Could it be coming from under the car? I broke a clip on one of the undertrays and it let to an odd rattling/vibrating sound at speed. I did the damage driving through a flood so there was also a but of gravel stuck in the tray (there are small holes to let water out but not larger material. So if you have something spherical stuck in the tray it could be rolling about, making a noise? If you go under the car and give the undertray a gentle thump you'll hear if anything is stuck.

M

Hi and thanks for the suggestion, that's something else to look at although it does sound like it's coming from inside the heater vent channel with the seat removed. I'm convinced that whatever is in there is spherical as it's a 'rolling' sound rather than a 'skating' sound.

Just ordered a strong magnet so that I can tie it onto a retainer and set a "mousetrap" which will hopefully get sprung as I'm driving along. Fingers crossed B)

Cheers
Robin