What's new

Odd noise, not sure what a dodgey wheel bearing would sound like!

aceface321

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CTDI
Hello, I was wondering if everyone could help me try to resolve an issue I have.

My car 55 cdti has developed a noise when I exceed 60 mph, it's mainly noticable when I'm on a very smooth piece of road. It can only be described as a high pitched warbling noise that increases in volume and pitch as I accelerate. As far as I can tell the sound is coming from the rear passenger side.

To me it's as if the wheel is not tight and and oscilliating very slightly, however on checking the wheel is tight.

What would a dodgey wheel bearing sound like?

I have seen lots of post on here about wheel bearings but nothing which sort of fits this noise.

Thanks

A bearing normally will make a rumble noise.
Check for any stones in the disk sheild also check to see if your pads are worn out.

There was a recent post by someone who was pretty sure he had wheel-bearing problems, but it turned out to be tyres - it's worth checking for tyre damage - bulges in the tread or cuts from pot-holes.

I had it in the past thought it was a wheel bearing when it was the tyre causing the rumbling noise

Check your tyres mate ( the rears mainly ) if there worn on the inside it will make a nasty noise ( I've had the same thing up in till yesterday when I changed the rear tyres.

Mine is doing this as well, drivers side. I've got 4 almost new tyres. It almost sounds like a wind noise tbh.

The "someone" mentioned by Mike was me.

Normally when a wheel bearing starts to go it makes a rumbling noise although this can become more of a howl at higher speeds. Typically it's not a constant level but changes with each rotation of the wheel - sort of a woo-woo-woo noise. It'll also change as you steer the vehicle to left or right which loads and unloads the bearings. Having said that none of this helped me as my noise had all these characterisitcs.

Try swapping the wheels front to rear. If the noise changes or disappears then it's very likely to be tyres.

Alan

As Alan has said, try swaping the tyres from front to rear so eliminate the possiblility that the noise you're hearing is the tyres.

If it is wheel bearing noise it should be noisier going round a corner and quieter going round opposite handed corner.

Thanks for the input guys.

Took it into Honda who took one look at my budget tyres and said they were more than likely what was causing the noise. (I recorded it on my phone and played it back to the teccy)

They gave it a once over anyway and couldn't find anything else wrong so I bit the bullet and went for 4 new tyres.

On the drive to work this morning the difference is amazing, it honestly feels like a new car.

Amazing what a service and some new rubber can do.

Thanks

"I bit the bullet and went for 4 new tyres.

On the drive to work this morning the difference is amazing, it honestly feels like a new car.

Amazing what a service and some new rubber can do."

Glad to hear you got it sorted - what tyres did you go for?