What's new

Oil ACEA grading

Ian.H

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 2005
Hi , im looking at doing oil change on my 2.2 2005 pre face lift diesel.
I know the advice here is def 0w30 oil but im just a little unsure on the ACEA rating.
I'm lookin at castrol edge (just always used in the past in performance petrol motor and always ran like a dream) but there are 3 different ACEA grades availalbe.
E.g Halfords have:
1- A1/B1 A5/B5
2- A3/B3 A3/B4
Or euro carparts have (for quite a bit cheaper):
C2 C3.
I understand that C2 C3 is for cars with dpf's which I understand I haven't? But im not sure if this is just compatible with and therefor ok or shouldn't really be used if no dpf

Any help appriciated.

Also is it worth a honda oil filter or will any filter do (does anyone know off hand how much a genuine filter tends to set you back )
Thanks in advance

I'm not an expert, but I remembered that if the grade is between B1 - B5 would be perfect for our 2.2
I bought the Castrol Edge, which is B3, and serviced my car last month, it runs smoothly without any problem.
I think the genuine Honda filter is somewhere around £10 - £12, not stupidly expensive and I would stick with that

C3 is the better grade and will be fine also, there is a company on ebay selling 6l (6 x 1l bottles) for £41.99, I paid £9.60 for my last filter which was from Cox Motor parts, but I am sure if you ring Holdcroft Honda and asked they would do you a good deal on a service kit or individual items.

Blue Toffee said:
C3 is the better grade and will be fine also, there is a company on ebay selling 6l (6 x 1l bottles) for £41.99, I paid £9.60 for my last filter which was from Cox Motor parts, but I am sure if you ring Holdcroft Honda and asked they would do you a good deal on a service kit or individual items.
Thanks. When you say C3 is the better grade, is that over either of the others shown or both ?
Just want to be sure that the 'C' grade stuff that is listed as being for cars with dpf's is also ok in cars without, and won't cause any issues ?
Thanks again

Id always stick to genuine OEM when it comes to oil filters. They have the correct flow rate and bypass valve setting for the engine which you cant guarantee on after market stuff. That's what I was told any way.

I've had a look on ebay and this seems to be the Castrol edge turbo diesel. I've seen that this was discontinued some time ago in 0w-30 form, so the stock must be years old. Would engine oil 'go off' at all does anyone know ?