What's new

Oil change iDTEC

Rockspotter

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i DTEC
I changed the oil in my iDTEC at the weekend and used 0W30 ACEA C3 spec Castrol Edge FST as common wisdom.
However, the car seems a lot different since the change. it doesn't run as smoothly, doesn't seem to coast as well after coming off the accelerator and is noisier. It is not as loose as it was.
Has anybody had similar experience?

I have ordered some C2 spec and will change it again when I have the oil. Is there that much difference between C2 and C3?

Mine came with 5w40 C3 oil and after 5K miles I've just changed it for 0w30 C2. I can't tell really tell them apart from the drivers seat.

C2 is the min spec for DPF compatible oil.

Update:
I changed the oil again and this time used EXOL 0W30 C2 engine oil. It has returned the car to its previous performance, much smoother, quieter and far better freewheeling than before. All I can conclude is that it makes a real difference using the C2 spec. Actually i noticed in has C2 embossed on the oil filler cap as well!
Lesson learned.

i picked up on something on hondakarma about the recommended oil being c2 0w30 but dealers using 5w30 c2/c3.
i rang the dealer i bought the car off as they serviced it before sale and they said they have been using 5w30.
i challenged them about this and the best he could give was they discussed it with Honda - he didnt actually state if they said it was ok.
I think its makes a mockery of the "Full Main Dealer Service History"
what do people think about this discrepancy?
I have done a contact us form on honda uk site asking them to explain/discuss.

Just had my idtec( "serviced" looked at) on a four year system that came with original purchase, the first owner must have thought it was a good idea, Honda were happy to transfer the outstanding and final check to me, no idea what oil went in but I do know that from now on it will getting Exol 0-30 c2 call me a cynic but I do not trust any body when it comes to oil changes, therefore I do it myself. Ran my 7th diesel on Exol vimax 0-30 for 200,000 miles never a blip. Too many horror stories on here and elsewhere about so called main dealers who lets face it are only there to sell motors.

Update:
I changed the oil again and this time used EXOL 0W30 C2 engine oil. It has returned the car to its previous performance, much smoother, quieter and far better freewheeling than before. All I can conclude is that it makes a real difference using the C2 spec. Actually i noticed in has C2 embossed on the oil filler cap as well!
Lesson learned.
Hi
Im from wiltshire aswell, where did u buy this oil? i just got the same like You when i changed for Mtoul 5w30 engine became rough, and noisy...
if u can send the link r exact name of the oil pls, thanks

just throw this in and call it a day

Mannol Energy (7908) 5W-30 *Acea C3 * Fully Synthetic

Hi
Im from wiltshire aswell, where did u buy this oil? i just got the same like You when i changed for Mtoul 5w30 engine became rough, and noisy...
if u can send the link r exact name of the oil pls, thanks

Hi
you can get the exol oil from https://www.lubetechshop.co.uk There used to be a page on here for them. They have an Ebay store as well.
Lubetech, they are based in Northampton.