What's new

oil change pump?

Roy W

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord CDTi Sport
Anyone here use these suction or 12v pumps for changing the oil?

Are they any good on the Accord? See them advertised around the £20 -40 mark.

Ive never been too keen on them as they wont pick out any crud from the bottom of the sump like removing the drain plug would.

I don't see the point. You're just making a simple job complicated and expensive.

Yeah, changing oil is simple, it take 45 mins for me to do it, and you must use the correct oil.:) no need any other tool just remove the sump plug will do..

I`ve found that its very easy to overfill the car with oil and for that reason I bought a Silverline pump to drain any excess oil rather than draining it via the sump plug.

I`ve tried it twice now and each time I managed to get about a teaspoon out after a load of furious pumping so basically a waste of money.

It sucks up water just fine but for some reason I can`t get it to suck up oil and yes I did remove the filler cap.

:lol: I remember that thread.

I've got one of the manual ones (a Pela). It does work quite well actually. I bought it for my last car but i use it on the accord a well. As Dave suggests, it has been very useful when dealers have overfilled the oil level. I use it to get the majority of the oil out when doing a change. I don't have a tray big enough and the pela does make the whole process a lot cleaner. While its doing its job i get the filter done.for completeness i undo the stump plug but have to admit i get about a further half litre out but then the car is jacked up and that's to be expected.

I use a "SEALY" vacuum pump, it works well, one thing to remember is that the oil filter holds a fair bit up there, so before you stop pumping or draining for that matter undo the filter housing to release the vacuum you will then get another 1/2 litre out.

I use a "SEALY" vacuum pump, it works well, one thing to remember is that the oil filter holds a fair bit up there, so before you stop pumping or draining for that matter undo the filter housing to release the vacuum you will then get another 1/2 litre out.

I wish........ I can just about get a stain in the bottom of the container. I obviously need to be pumping a bit more furiously

I wish........ I can just about get a stain in the bottom of the container. I obviously need to be pumping a bit more furiously
What container? get the engine hot, remove dipstick, place extractor tube into hole push down, it will not melt. six pumps to create vacuum and watch it flow. Keep vacuum up by pumping, until you hear it slurping, leave the tube in the dipstick tube, remove filter top and the housing will drain down, pump a little more vacuum, jobs a good un. If you are using an electric pump, throw it in the skip and get a sealy or pela vac pump.

I used to have one of these when I owned a boat. It had a bmw 6 cylinder engine in it and the only way to change the oil was with one of these unless you took the engine out every time which is obviously a bit of a pain. Good bit of kit but as has been said won't get all the oil out. If you think running cars is expensive try running a large engined boat. Best move I made was getting rid of it but good fun while I had it!