What's new

oil consumption - excessive or not?

Simon2354

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer Type S
My beloved 2.4 Type S tourer seems to be drinking a little more oil than I would ideally like. Over the last few times it has been serviced, there is no evidence of leakage underneath the car (clean as a whistle so to speak) or dropping oil on the road etc. I am having to keep topping the oil up - about a litre or so every 600 to 800 miles (top to bottom dot on the dip stick). Honda ***ure me this is within normal expected parameters. Honda's spec of oil is Castrol Edge 0w30, however I have even tried using both 0w40 & 10W40 Castrol Edge. Once upon a time I would go several months on end before having to top of the oil, now it is coming too regular, especially when you are paying £40 odd quid for motor oil!

I always fill up at my local Sainsburys for unleaded - my Nectar balance is soaring :)

Should I be unduly worried or not - the car is 53 plate and approaching 122K. Any suggestions welcomed :)

mcexocet said:
My beloved 2.4 Type S tourer seems to be drinking a little more oil than I would ideally like. Over the last few times it has been serviced, there is no evidence of leakage underneath the car (clean as a whistle so to speak) or dropping oil on the road etc. I am having to keep topping the oil up - about a litre or so every 600 to 800 miles (top to bottom dot on the dip stick). Honda ***ure me this is within normal expected parameters. Honda's spec of oil is Castrol Edge 0w30, however I have even tried using both 0w40 & 10W40 Castrol Edge. Once upon a time I would go several months on end before having to top of the oil, now it is coming too regular, especially when you are paying £40 odd quid for motor oil!

I always fill up at my local Sainsburys for unleaded - my Nectar balance is soaring :)

Should I be unduly worried or not - the car is 53 plate and approaching 122K. Any suggestions welcomed :)
sounds similar to mine (though mine does a lot more than 800 miles to a litre)

i.e. when I first got the car in 2006 (yep I've had the car that long), I never had to put any oil in it between yearly services. Then as the years passed, I found that it didn't go for a whole year, eventually 6 months at most. I now do all the servicing myself. I use Castrol Edge 0w30

If you are flooring the accelerator pedal a lot (like I used to) and using high revs a lot (like I used to), then this seems to wear out the piston rings I reckon (well that must be true on any engine).
I've never seen any blue smoke, or any smoke, in my mirrors (even at rev limit in 2nd and 3rd).

If you keep the revs below 3000 you should notice that it uses less oil (and you'll get much better mpg too).

edit: mine was on 12k when I bought it, it's now on 97k

Look for blue smoke after ticking over for a minute or so, then blip the throttle, thats when you will see it if it's there, and could indicate valve guide wear or bore wear. Hope you find neither.

Not sure if normal, but my type s tourer consumes about the same amount..i just keep topping up ;) drove like that 60k miles now in two years, no problem ;)