What's new

Oil filter

vn125250

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2
Hello to you all,

I have completed about 5k miles since my car was last serviced and i'm looking to get the oil changed in another 1k miles or so. I will probably get it completed at a local garage (Kwik fit, F1 auto centre etc...) but was wondering if it is okay to use a 3rd party oil filter and not a genuine Honda one. I know the diesels are quite picky on components so I didn't want to get it wrong.

I have some Castrol edge 0w-30 oil kept from my Honda Civic days but would prefer to take it down to the garage due to not having the ramps and other equipment to carry it out myself.

If you're a handy sort, use the money you'll pay the local garage to do the work to buy some ramps and tackle it yourself!

I'd say unless you're really strapped for cash, use a Honda part. They're not that expensive (from HH) and you'll not kick yourself if the 3rd party part isn't all you'd hoped.

Mate use a genuine filter and keep an eye on them, I once paid for full sync oil and watched them wheel a barrel of oil to my car of course I jumped on the mechanic and made them use the correct stuff filled from bottles, but he said that they regularly did this. Just a warning!

Hi.
GENUINE ONLY, no question about it. There must be just a few quid difference between OEM and after-market ones. Not worth it the risk mate. When I purchased my accord I bought Blueprint fuel filter. I had to change it a week or so later as it was cutting out the fuel supply on higher revs. Go genuine! Also, oil change is a piece of cake mate, just jack up your car and you done:) Good luck! Dan.

Hello to you all,

I have completed about 5k miles since my car was last serviced and i'm looking to get the oil changed in another 1k miles or so. I will probably get it completed at a local garage (Kwik fit, F1 auto centre etc...) but was wondering if it is okay to use a 3rd party oil filter and not a genuine Honda one. I know the diesels are quite picky on components so I didn't want to get it wrong.

I have some Castrol edge 0w-30 oil kept from my Honda Civic days but would prefer to take it down to the garage due to not having the ramps and other equipment to carry it out myself.

Hello Mate, I Stick with the prevailing wisdom on service components which is Honda genuine is your best bet. although not as sensitive as the Fuel filter the oil filter is cheap form Honda anyway, pick one up on eBay or better still use Holdcraft Honda the forum affiliated parts supplier.

(get the discount club code from an admin and give them a ring and they will send the filter and replacement sump washer to you with no delivery charge pretty sharpish)

you can then ask whoever is doing your oil to use the Honda filter you provide.

I think the main concern with oil changes is making sure the mechanic uses the correct grade of oil 0w-30 for diesels and that you check they have filled it to the correct level yourself, never ***ume they have, take a minute to check the oil level and ask both before and after the service about the grade of oil.

I started doing my own oil as I was sure that both the dealer and my local mechanic were using 5/10w oils (you can hear and feel the difference) and on a few occasions i found the oil had been over or under filled after the change (not good).

Thank you for your help guys - much appreciated,

In that case I think I will just purchase a genuine Honda one. Now I just have to decide if I should do it myself or to get a garage to do it.

Cheers

Thank you for your help guys - much appreciated,

In that case I think I will just purchase a genuine Honda one. Now I just have to decide if I should do it myself or to get a garage to do it.

Cheers
If you can get under the car, its a easy job to do. ( borrow some ramps or some on here have driven up a curb to get the hight) check the DIY section, Changing oil and filter is on there!! Change the Air filter too while your there ;)

I just got off the phone to Hendy Honda in Portsmouth and they told me that I do not need to change the oil every 6k miles. The person on the phone was adamant that every 12.5k was enough and doing interim oil changes on a Honda does nothing to preserve the life of the engine. That can't be right can it?

I won't hurt it to do it more often but/and there doesn't seem to be any evidence to suggest that the Honda recommended intervals are too long. The point of oil is to lubricate and reduce wear (amongst other things of course) and if they say that the oil does as good a job after 12k miles as 6k miles then there truly is no point in changing it more often, if they're right. And there's no reason to suggest they're wrong.

Some people like to change the oil more often than recommended, but they do so out of choice rather than necessity.