What's new

Oil for Petrol engines - 0w/20?

richsprint

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 petrol Tourer
Hi All,

Going to be changing the oil next month on my 2008 2.0 iVtec petrol.

Seen that Honda recommend 0w/20 full synth for best fuel consumption, however I'm a bit concerned this might not be best for my 6 year old 73000 mile engine? Might cause it to start using oil. It seems to have been run on a 5w/30 and 0w/30 full synth in the past.

I can imagine 0w/20 is good in a new engine, but maybe not in an older one?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rich

Yeah, might be wise to stick with 5w/30 then.

This is what I'm sticking with Rich.
But my next oil change I'm using Mobil 1 instead of silkolene pro

Castrol Magnatec 5w/30 fully synth - £23 for 4 litres for Eurocarparts

richsprint said:
Castrol Magnatec 5w/30 fully synth - £23 for 4 litres for Eurocarparts
That's a good price Rich

I have been advised by Honda in Kidlington that my car needs 10W/40 Shell HX7 semi synthetic. Is this right??

Magnatec is a modified mineral oil... up until a few years ago Castrol described it as a semi synth. But it's a good oil and I've used it in my Toyota for 11 years, since new.

Hi RichSprint,

Engine oil is one thing that always confuses me.

So why would kidlington honda say that my car needs 10W/40 semi-synthetic? I have also been told that if I was to change the grade then I might be likely to suffer from engine knocking or other problems. So not really sure what to do. Kidlington Honda are charging £145 for oil and filter change, seems a bit excessive. What do I do with regards to oil grade? My service reminder code is saying im due oil change in 200 miles.#

Thanks for your help,

Richard.

Richard, you can try the Castrol and Halfords websites which both have a 'which oil is right for my car' search facility, to put your mind at rest.

£145 for an oil and filter change is a bit excessive, but if you need to keep your warranty up I guess not much choice. Maybe try another Honda dealer.

4 litres of 5w/30 Castrol fully synth is £23, a genuine Honda filter is £8. Hence I do my own oil changes, but my car is 6 years old, so out of warranty.

My car is an 08 model so I guess no longer under waranty also.

If I was to change the oil to 5w/30 full synth am I likey to experience any problems?? My cousin works for Toyota and he has said they will use Mobil 5w/30 for my car.

How easy is it to do oil change myself.

Richard an oil change is very easy indeed and will take 20 min.
Iv just changed my oil brand to 5w 30 mobil 1 fully synthetic as this is a great oil.
£145 from the dealers are ripping you off and also are using a cheaper oil.

I don't doubt for a minute that garages are ripping people off as oil seems to be cheap and filters arnt much either. I have been tempted to do it myself to save money but I guess the thought of doing it puts me off as not sure how easy it is to do.

It's a fairly straightforward procedure but you'd need to invest in a bit of equipment first such as a jack and axle stands to raise the car.

If your service is due in 200 miles you might decide it's better to get a trustworthy independent garage such as Halfords Autocentres to change your oil this time for a more reasonable price and then get the kit together for next time. It's well worth the initial outlay though because you'll save a fortune in the long run and know it's been done right.

There will be no shortage of suggestions on here of which is the best jack etc!

Thanks guys. I have axle stands and a jack already as I have changed brake discs and pads and suspension on my old cars. Are there any other bits of kit I need to change the oil and filter?

Yeah Honda kidlington are a bit of a joke. There is a guy that works on the front desk that always serves me when I go in an without a doubt always charges me extra and tries to tell me that something else is wrong with my car and get more money out of me, so frustrating.

Plus a socket set.

I use a breaker bar and torque wrench as well which aren't essential but make the job a fair bit easier.

I'm ***uming the oil filter removal tool allows for a socket set to attach to it to remove it??

I have a torque wrench so does it have to be tightened to a specific amount?

Will I need a new sump plug as well?

If I buy 4L of oil is it worth pouring in the whole lot?

Yes it takes a half inch drive ratchet or a three eighths.

The owners manual will say what the setting is. It's 44Nm on mine.

You won't need a new plug but you need a new plug washer along with the filter.

Up to you but personally I would use the dipstick markings to tell me how much to put in.

So don't need to torque the filter up then??

So items needed are jack, axle stands, oil, filter, drain bolt/washer, filter removal tool!

Think I will change from semi synth 10w/40 to fully synth 5w/30. But what brand oil??