What's new

Oil for Petrol engines - 0w/20?

By drain bolt I mean sump plug. You just need the washer.

Can't help with the brand sorry as I use 0W 30 although it's very similar to 5W 30.

I'm guessing I can pick up the sump plug and filter from honda pretty cheap?

I think I will go with 5w/30 just nut sure which brand is best!

Yes I would definitely use a genuine Honda filter not an aftermarket one.

Opie Oils have a good choice of 5W 30.

Thanks.

Just a quickie! If people do their own servicing instead of the garages/qualified mechanics how does the logistics work. I mean, how does the service book get stamped and is it recognised as being done properly if people do their own. Obviously we still need to take car for mot etc but do we need to let garage now servicing has been done etc?

Keep your own record of what you did and the date and mileage and stick or staple the bottle/packet labels to it.

No need to tell the garage.

A genuine Honda filter and new sump plug washer are about £8 from Honda. Although I get mine here on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Honda-petrol-oil-filter-civic-jazz-crv-accord-type-r-logo-hrv-crz-/161337079882?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item259070784a

I just right the date and mileage in my service book and what was done on the relevant page by the old stamps. Keep the bills also with your MoTs etc, might be good evidence of servicing when you sell. My car is 6 years old, 73k miles, I'm keeping it for at least another 2 years/20k miles, by that time the lack of full Honda service history might lose me £200 at trade in maybe.

The biggest pain is getting the undertray off, but once you've done it, you'll be ok. The fastenings rust on.

See my photo guide here:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/14781-8th-gen-20-ivtec-petrol-r-series-engine-oil-change/

A little tip rich is smear the bolts with Vaseline
As this helps next time

Thanks guys for the advice. Just not sure what brand oil to buy now. Is it best to order from poor oils? Looks like you get some little extras along with oil.

I've always found Castrol products excellent.

And Honda have a collaboration with Castrol now for oil.

I have bought Mobil 1 ESP 5W/30 from opie oils. Thanks again guys for your help. I will let you know how the oil hangs goes. Planning on doing it Saturday. Just need to check if honda have the parts.

Good luck with the oil change.
Also what Cliff said good choise of oil

Thanks. Wasnt sure what brand was best! Ordered filter and washer from honda which came to £13, seems abit more than what people had been saying ? £8 or £9

Yeah saw the link but delivery wouldn't be till next week so unfortunately had to make a trip to the dealership. Next time I will be more organised and sort things out in advance.

As a TA member you would have got a decent discount from Holdcroft Honda (you need to get a code from one of our mods first) which matched that eBay price. You also get free delivery (usually within 48 hours).

Oil change done! So far a success :) was pretty straight forward the only problem was trying to get old filter off. Quite pleased. Think I might change spark plugs soon as well.

Good result and lots cheaper as well.
If you need any more service parts pm me for the HH discount code

Thanks! Will do that. I only rushed to get bits so I could do it Saturday. Next time I will be more organised and get things in advance and cheap.

Thanks :) yeah they seem quite pricey! Wasnt sure wether to get oem ones or aftermarket ones ? NGK.

What are the dimensions of front and rear brake discs?? Looking to upgrade them