What's new

Oil leak from steering pump pipe

wahabishtiaq

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2006
Hi Guys,

Since recent change of clutch i have noticed that my steering oil reservoir level has dropped to low and bubbles when pump is running. Also there is quite a bit oil residue under the steering rod and column. I can see that may be oil is leaking from thick pipe just behind the engine cover.....

Do you guys think that while clutch was done on my accord diesel it could have been that steering column was not put in place correctly? Should i go back to the mechanic who did the clutch on my car?

Please advise?

Many thanks

Regardless of whether it was there already, or was caused by the mechanics, I would go back and report that to them. After all you noticed it not before, but after their intervention. At least they could tell where the problem comes from.

Hi Just to give an update, i bought a aftermarket new PS hose for £60 from eBay and got it replaced, pretty straight forward job apart from the slower bottom end of pipe was hard to reach, but did get there in the end.

New pipe installed and happy days.... Old one was cracked almost half an inch from where steering fluid was leaking at a very slow rate....

So will wash the car and clear all the leak with engine block cleaner and review for next few days... Definitely steering has gone smoother.

Cheers

Did you use the Honda power steering fluid? Pretty important that you use the Honda gear rather than generic PS fluid.

Quick question, I'm getting through a lot of PAS fluid, seems blissfully dry near the pump but further up the pipe is very oily so ***uming I've got a hole in it somewhere. You said you got at the bottom end of the pipe *in the end* did you tackle it from above or crawl underneath?

The two I've seen have gone on the top near the rocker box, but they're pretty much just pinholes.
It'll pee PSF down the back of the engine block, and you'll notice the offside subframe rail will be wet.

The lines easily changed once you've got the car on some axle stands and the offside wheel and undertray removed.

Hi,

Mostly the pipe leaks from where Matt has pointed.... Then it trickles down even from a pin hole and mess up the rear engine block, steering column, under tray... Its very easy to change this pipe and highly advisable to change with new item either Honda genuine or OEM.

Just life the driver side, access the lower bend of pipe and unscrew the bold with 14mm spanner if i am not wrong and pull it out, it will require some twist and wiggle due to the bend and install new one. Valaaa!

I bough the new pipe from aftermarket manufacturer and costed me around £60 on eBay, but you can get even cheaper now with 2 yrs warranty

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-2007-HONDA-ACCORD-2-2-DIESEL-POWER-STEERING-PIPE-HOSE-2-YEARS-Gurantee-/222106394997?hash=item33b692a175

Hope this helps... Let us know how it goes...

Bought my pipe from those guys and had to get the blowtorch out and re-do every single bend. No response from them brought eBay either.
The pipe in the picture looks different to the one they sent me, so maybe they've changed supplier.

I wasn't impressed, but had the car apart on the drive, so it was going in wether it liked it or not.

Getting s big spanner in from underneath by the exhaust was a must for me, both getting it undone at the rack, and properly tightened too.

Haha. Update on the above. The guy finally phoned me back and gave me a partial refund.
Seemed quite sound actually. So, feedback amended, I'm happy, and hopefully all is right with the world.

The one in the link above looks much better quality than the one I was supplied, and is cheaper to boot. Could well be worth a punt at that money.

Well thats good to hear Matt that it all got sorted in the end....

Yes on this price it is definitely worth it... I paid £60 and can't believe how come i paid this much for a PS pipe.... lol