What's new

Oil leak

JAPIMPORT

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 ACCORD SE
I got under my car to do an oil service I noticed that theres an oil leak from a little hole at the bottom of the transmission I've googled it and what I'm finding is that it's the rear main seal that's gone has anyone here ever had that problem and was it costly to repair could I do it myself or should I leave it to the experts thanks in advance

Iv just had a quick look in 6th gen and cant find anything by all means have a good look yourself.
I suspect someone here will give you some good info later lol.
When you say a small hole its not an over flow is it.When was the tranz oil changed because it might have been over filled.

thanks for replying,ive changed the manual gearbox oil about a month ago,so i know it wasnt over filled,when i done the change i just filled the transmission until the oil was coming out of the filling hole,ill give the underneath a good clean and check again just to make sure where its leaking from, i just hope im wrong in thinking its the rear main seal,hope its not :(

I know yours is a 6th Gen, but isn't there a second hole for the correct level? If so, then filling until you have oil coming our of the filling hole would mean too much?

I know yours is a 6th Gen, but isn't there a second hole for the correct level? If so, then filling until you have oil coming our of the filling hole would mean too much?

No, that’s actually the proper way to fill the gear box.
Put oil on it until it starts to come out, I did mine a few months ago.

Fair enough... it is different for ours.

Just an update, well I cleaned under the car turns out it's weeping out of the hole at bottom of bel housing so I brought the car to local mechanic, he said it's not that bad of a leak when it gets really bad then I should repair it,and just to keep an eye on the oil level as the gearbox etc has to come out and itll cost a couple hundred euro to repair the seal

just a little update,i have the car of the road the last couple of weeks,the oil leak got worse,im going to give it a go and replace the rear seal, there is also oil on top of the gearbox under the distributor, and i havent a clue where its coming from,and ill also do the clutch while im at it,im going to take my time as i bought a run around for the time being a (mitsubishi lancer) fine little car,but the honda is way better,so hopefully ill have the honda back on the road soon,did anyone ever change a rear seal before,well i can take my time doing it,so ill keeps yous posted,feel free to give me some pointers,itll be really apreciated thanks

just a little update,i have the car of the road the last couple of weeks,the oil leak got worse,im going to give it a go and replace the rear seal, there is also oil on top of the gearbox under the distributor, and i havent a clue where its coming from,and ill also do the clutch while im at it,im going to take my time as i bought a run around for the time being a (mitsubishi lancer) fine little car,but the honda is way better,so hopefully ill have the honda back on the road soon,did anyone ever change a rear seal before,well i can take my time doing it,so ill keeps yous posted,feel free to give me some pointers,itll be really apreciated thanks

I will be interested in this, since I should replace the clutch in a few months and might also replace that seal, although it's not leaking.
About the oil around the distributor, it could be the cam seal or the valve cover gasket...

i take it you suspect the problem is the rear crank oil seal? so long as the leak is not the gear box mainshaft seal the worst part of removing the seal is getting to it. once the box is out just remove the clutch and flywheel and you can see the seal. remove with a pick or screwdriver but on fitting make sure it is tapped in with somthing of the same size and tap it in level. allso it is crucial you dont tap it in too far as the back edge of the seal will touch the crank and verry quickly fail. basicly give everything a good check over as soon as you remove the transmition and see how you go

thanks for the info,is the main shaft seals the drive shaft seals,if so, i noticed theres oil around the shaft too, i might as well change them too while im at it,so i have to get rear main seal,drive shaft seals,would you get them in any car parts place or do i have to order them from honda