What's new

Oil light and battery light came on

leemond80

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 ICTDI Sport
I was driving back home tonight and was slowing for a roundabout when the power steering went and on the dash the oil light and battery light came on. The engine was still ticking over so i pulled to the side of the road and turned it off. After 2 seconds i started the engine again and all was normal!

Anyone have a clue what that was all about?

just in case this is helpful, HH told me the DMF needs replacing so its going in this week with them, can that be related?

I am starting to hate this car now.

I was driving back home tonight and was slowing for a roundabout when the power steering went and on the dash the oil light and battery light came on. The engine was still ticking over so i pulled to the side of the road and turned it off. After 2 seconds i started the engine again and all was normal!

Anyone have a clue what that was all about?

just in case this is helpful, HH told me the DMF needs replacing so its going in this week with them, can that be related?

I am starting to hate this car now.

Sounds almost like a slack ancilliary drive belt - does it sometimes make a squealing noise? But are you sure about the oil light? This wouldn't be related to the DMF.

Sounds very much like an issue with the auxillary belt tension. That's the only thing I can think of that would explain both issues.

Alan

Check voltage across battery both standing and started.

Hmmm - that'll teach me to speed-read things. I completely missed the oil light coming on.

Good advice from Salim to check the battery voltages standing and started as there my be something amiss. However on the face of it that wouldn't explain the loss of power steering so there's something deeper here. Before digging any further please let us know the battery voltages.

Alan

today while driving the power steering also went a little stiffer than normal. however, later on when driving home it was fine again!

I'll get the battery checked at halfords

Even though it wouldn't explain the oil light coming on, I'd check the belt tension first - it's really simple and free!!!

this does sound like an issue with the fan belts, please do check them for tension etc

I have checked the belt that you see when opening the bonnet and it seems tight. Is there another belt i need to check?

Its on a pre-tensioner so will be tight, but check the groove is in good condition, did you get the voltage checked over the battery static and running?

the grooves on the belt look fine no sign of corrosion and the battery test gave these results:

Cold Battery = 12.7v
engine on = 14.2v
engine on and heavy load = 14.1v

This car is a pain in the ***!

The symptoms you have are bizarre. The only time you'd expect to have all three is when the engine is not running. I appreciate it's going to be a bit difficult as it only happens for a short period of time but when it next occurs please have a look at the speedo and tacho to make sure they're both working.

I ***ume you have checked the power steering fluid level?

Alan

Sounds to me like when you have put the clutch in it has stalled, the battery light and oil light would come on and the steering would go heavy, then when you let the clutch out slowing down it would restart.

Sounds to me like when you have put the clutch in it has stalled, the battery light and oil light would come on and the steering would go heavy, then when you let the clutch out slowing down it would restart.

That's actually a very plausible explanation!

Exactly, Nick. If we know what the speedo and tacho are doing at the time it happens that should prove it one way or the other.

Alan

Power steering fluid was fine but its with HH today to get the flywheel, DMF, crank seal and a drop link done. So I added the steering to the list and they are looking at it.

I'm feeling a bit hard done to with this car now after a timing chain job now this lot it's getting expensive lol

Anyone know a good mobile wheel refurber :)

Keep us posted Lee what this problem is as HH will sort it out.

Hmmm well HH fixed the DMF and clutch. They also replaced the crank seal and the rear drop link. However, there is now a new noise coming from the timing chain area of the car. I noticed it as soon as i started the engine. I have driven it back home thinking it may be because the new DMF etc are in there and they may do this initially but so far it hasn't died down at all. I'll keep an eye on it (the timing chain was only done last month).

Regarding the issue of the car stalling, I was driving back to London from HH and i noticed it was idling rough but thought I would look at it at home. Anyway coming out of the services it spluttered to a stall so I called the AA out. They guy hooked it up to the ODB kit and told me it had low fuel pressure. I thought the FF would be the cause and told him but he laughed and opened the bonnet. He then took the engine cover off and tapped some part of the engine at the rear a few times. The rough idle went away!!!!!!! I was mouth wide open at this point lol

it turns out the fuel pressure valve is the cause. now i have to find out how much that part is and if I can fit it myself.

old problem fixed two new problems obtained....FML

:)

Hmmm well HH fixed the DMF and clutch. They also replaced the crank seal and the rear drop link. However, there is now a new noise coming from the timing chain area of the car. I noticed it as soon as i started the engine. I have driven it back home thinking it may be because the new DMF etc are in there and they may do this initially but so far it hasn't died down at all. I'll keep an eye on it (the timing chain was only done last month).

Regarding the issue of the car stalling, I was driving back to London from HH and i noticed it was idling rough but thought I would look at it at home. Anyway coming out of the services it spluttered to a stall so I called the AA out. They guy hooked it up to the ODB kit and told me it had low fuel pressure. I thought the FF would be the cause and told him but he laughed and opened the bonnet. He then took the engine cover off and tapped some part of the engine at the rear a few times. The rough idle went away!!!!!!! I was mouth wide open at this point lol

it turns out the fuel pressure valve is the cause. now i have to find out how much that part is and if I can fit it myself.

old problem fixed two new problems obtained....FML

:)

Hi Lee, it appears that my ongoing problem - http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10011-wont-start/ - has merged with your fuel pressure control valve problem. I suggest you check out any replies I receive and please can you provide any updates you have on that part.

Thanks,
Jon

This issue has now been solved by replacing the high pressure fuel pump. all better now :)