What's new

Oily deposits in air pipe near inlet manifold

alloy36

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTi
Hi all,

I'm getting sick of blue smoke on startup and the oil consumption. The car drives fine but the oil smell and smoke is starting to become embarrasing.

I asked the question here a while ago and had not much repsonse. I came accross a similar issue on a ctdi civic and asked on the civinfo forum. I got the following response:

"Could also be something as simple as the oil seprator pipe that plugs in right at the turbo for vacuum.
Thats where the oil mist comes from you'll find when you pop a boost pipe and wipe with your finger"

No I don't even know where the turbo is or the oil seperator pipe. Some have mentioned on other car forums that PCV valve could be faulty. Again I don't know where this is and even if my car has one.

I did have a good look around under the bonnet and took the intake manifold air pipe off and found some oil in it which doesn't seem normal.

So where is this oil seperator pipe? and why could there be oil in my intake manifold?

I started to think initially that it was my valve seals and I was going to go to HH and get them done, but now with the oil in the manifold, it seems it may be something else.

To remind you all, it is just a P*** of blue smoke on startup. Sometimes its a huge smoke. Especially when it is warmer outside.

Any help appreciated.

Hi did you ever solve this as my car has exactley the same the P*** seams bigger when the outside temp is warmer and he same on the intake manifold hose

Could this oil in there cause my problem though. My car has 117k on the clock runs very well pleanty of power and very smooth never hesitates to start. Ive only owned it since it was on 113k so no real history on the car so it might never have been cleaned . Tuesday i plan to clean out that part of the manifold. I have found a very usefull guide on here so will follow that.

If your burning oil it could be rings or valve guides worn, if your blowing oil out the crankcase breather then you really have got problems. How much oil are you using?? and is there a trail of blue smoke behind you all the time??

The blue smoke is just on startup and no trail of smoke behind me . Some times its just a small amount other times a bit more. Im using about half a liter of oil on 3000 miles. Which dosnt sound exesive to me . The crank case breather hose actualy seams clean .

The blue smoke is just on startup and no trail of smoke behind me . Some times its just a small amount other times a bit more. Im using about half a liter of oil on 3000 miles. Which dosnt sound exesive to me . The crank case breather hose actualy seams clean .

That oil use is well within limits, try not to overfill, and as suggested it could be a slight leak getting by the turbo oil seals. Do you park on the level?

Actualy at home my drive slopes down quiet a bit. And at work its level . do you think that would do anything?