What's new

Old probelem, new to me, car shaking

spud350

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer 2.4 Type-S
So I get a minor shake (the car not the steering) when accelerating from stand still but quite a harsh one accelerating at 60 ish.

Found quite a lot of play on the inner joint and shaft on the splines. Not rotation more vertical. Changed the joint and the shake/play is exactly the same.

Can anyone confirm if there is meant to be any play in that joint at all. If there isn't I would have expected it to be at least reduced with a new joint. Going to change the other one as it's not reduced the shake.

Seems this could be a very expensive guessing game.

Edit: unlike the ***le there is no probing going on. :wacko:

are you checking it with the wheels on thew ground, or in the air

AFAIK the best way is to jack the front of the car up, put axle stands under each side at the front, and then check movement on both sides

Yes that#s with the wheels in the air but it's still very difficult to tell what's right and what's not. Could do with knowing someone who can confirm any type of play in the joint really.

It depends what you're finding at the joint at each end, and also the way the shaft moves in the splines at each end. If you compare the movement of each end on each side with the wheels in the air, if you find one end is too stiff then that's more likely to be the cause of the vibration.

If the vibration only occurs when accelerating then it is an issue with the splines.

Yes it's only when accelerating but after the new joint the play feels exactly the same. Well at least on the offside. I've ordered the nearside to see if that's it.