What's new

Opening the boot...

Accordial

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 2.2 D Tourer
Well, I have a bit of a phobia of things electric and so avoid opening the (automatic electric) boot whenever possible as it's bound to go wrong eventually.

Reading the manual, though, it seems to suggest that you ought to be able to open the boot using the handle on the outside. Should you be? Do you unlock it somehow?

(And yes, I did try to read the instructions but ended up more confused...)

Thanks

Am I missing something? You use the handle to open it manually. What's the question? :huh:

How do you use the handle to open it? When I pull on the handle nothing happens. Until reading the manual I imagined this was correct...

Do you have to do something special?

(I appreciate this is beginning to look like a completely stupid question.)

Unless your handle's broken! You unlock the car with the keyfob, and then pull the handle on the boot. On the tourer this deactivates the auto-relock feature the same as opening a door would. Think of it like a 5-door (which it is), the boot acts exactly the same way as the 4 doors.

Thanks

So if I don't try to open the boot straight after unlocking it, then it auto locks and only the electric opening thing will open it and the handle won't?

But if I do try to open the boot straight after unlocking then I should be able to use the handle?

I'll go and try that later. (Comparison with the saloon is no help as I haven't got one... and all car manufacturers seem to do something different with the 'logic' on the locking of boots.)

Thank of the boot handle just like any other door handle, they all only work when the car is unlocked with the blipper.

So if I don't try to open the boot straight after unlocking it, then it auto locks and only the electric opening thing will open it and the handle won't?
Correct (if by 'electric opening thing' you mean the boot opening button on your keyfob), because the car is locked.

But if I do try to open the boot straight after unlocking then I should be able to use the handle?
Yes

Probably best you have a play.

If your car is locked you cant open any doors mate and that includes boot as well. Also if you unlock and car locks itself, you have to unlock again from your key and then press the boot opening button. If you still cant open your boot manually then the handle mechanism is broken. Hope it helps, Dan

As above.

Half right. If you press your keyfob unlock button, and don't touch the car, It will auto-lock after 30 seconds. It is then in the same state as it was before you unlocked it. You can then press the same unlock button and you have another 30 seconds to manually open the doors/boot. You never HAVE to use the electric boot open button.

If you press your keyfob unlock button, this unlocks ALL the hatches - front doors, rear doors, boot. You use the handles to open them. Once you've opened them it cancels the auto-lock mentioned above. This is THE SAME for all hatches - doors and boot. Once opened, if you close them the car remains unlocked forever - until you use the keyfob lock button, which locks EVERYTHING again, so it's the same as when you started.

I'll go and try that later. (Comparison with the saloon is no help as I haven't got one... and all car manufacturers seem to do something different with the 'logic' on the locking of boots.)
It's not a boot, it's a 5th door.

Never found the autolock function...

Sounds like a broken handle then. (I've only had it nearly a year...)

My two penneth:

Is Accordial's question about the way the central & auto re-locking locking works, or the way the boot lid works?

It appears to me that the handle on the outside of the boot is not a mechanical lever to the catch mechanism (as with a passenger door), but a switch which electrically releases the catch. If, the way I read the thread, the switch is knackered the boot lid cannot be opened using the handle from the outside. Using the keyfob to do a full auto-open works correctly as the boot lid handle isn't involved.