What's new

Overspray on my car!

trailblazzer

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Accord CDTI Sport
Hi all,

I work in a factory with a spray painting shop... Which is close to the car park. I went to wash my car a couple of days ago and it had a rough texture to the paint, i just ***umed it was the dust or dirt of the road but after a good clean it was still there and then i saw it was a very light coat of grey paint!!!

Any ideas on removing this? I've heard the only way to get rid is with a polisher? I've never used one before and given how unbelievably soft the Honda paint is I'm not keen on this idea. I read on another forum that a clay bar might be a good idea too. But again I know nothing about them.

What would be the best way to get rid of this stuff? What products do I need?
The cars an 06 Sport model (Black) if that helps?

Thanks!!!!

Take it to get professionally done and give the invoice to your work to pay.

If they haven't implemented methods of containing the spray they should be liable for any damage caused.

The spray booth should be sealed and ventilated with adequate filters. If your car is being covered in paint in the car park there is a serious environmental laws which are being broken.

Considering your company deals with spraying I'm sure they would have technicians who are more than capable of polishing out such damage without damaging the paint work. I'd take it up with your boss and give them a chance to correct the damage before just walking in a slapping a bill on his desk.

Try Autoglym Paint Renovator, it's like T Cut but better.

In Ireland laws on that type of thing are very very loosely enforced unless your based in a city which my company are not. My boss wont care much. And I would be shocked if our painters have ever seen a polisher or any of the likes in here lol let alone used one. We make heavy duty recycling equipment.

I'm thinking a clay bar kit might be the best idea for the job?

Clay bar is a good start but I think you will need some type of cutting compound to get through the over spray.

Clay bar. Before it came to the general market it was a bodyshop trade secret used for removing overspray so should be perfect for the job.

You may need an medium aggressive clay so there is a good chance it might mar your paint work, in which case you will need to then polish to remove any marring.

Hmmm this marring sounds ominous...I don't really understand how the particles stick to the car the spray shed is at least 200 yards from the car. I would have thought it would have dried to a dust before getting to the cars.

Any recommendations on a polisher and compound for a complete noob to polishing? I heard I should keep away from spin polishers.

I've bought this clay bar. Any thoughts on it?
http://www.cleancar.ie/dodo-clay-kit.html

Should be fine with the Dodo.

Are you looking to spend out on a polisher? By the time you have bought the polisher, backing plate, pads and polishes, you will be looking at £100+. They are a good investment if you plan to keep on top of your car looking good though. Cant really go wrong with an entry level DA in the Kestral DAS-6.

Should be fine with the Dodo.

Are you looking to spend out on a polisher? By the time you have bought the polisher, backing plate, pads and polishes, you will be looking at £100+. They are a good investment if you plan to keep on top of your car looking good though. Cant really go wrong with an entry level DA in the Kestral DAS-6.

Do these not remove a layer of paint though? Monies tight but for my car I'll spend to put it right. Though there's prob no point since I'm still working in the same place for the foreseeable future. Where would I get one of these polishers?

Polishing with an abrasive polish whether by hand or machine, removes a very fine amount of paint. That's how it gets rid of scratches by levelling the paint.

If the overspray hasn't been on the car for a long time, wash the car as you normally would, then use WD40 and a soft cloth to clean the affected area.

If the overspray hasn't been on the car for a long time, wash the car as you normally would, then use WD40 and a soft cloth to clean the affected area.

Its on it a while mate, I'll try that in the tricky areas though. Its got a fairly uniform covering. All the cars in work have it :(

If I were you I think I'd be buying a cover to put over my car while it's in the car park.

As the guys said try clay bar 1 st as this is a safe option

The clay bar cleaned it up nicely, paint was smooth again after it, however it marred the paint slightly in places. So ultimatly I think the polisher will be needed going forward. But for the time being SRP and Collinite cover up every mark on it! :D

Excellent news. That's the trouble with gay Honda paint though, it is so soft that even clay marks it.

Abit of farcla G3 or t-cut type polish Should get round rid of the micro marring, halfrauds sell g3..
Cheaper than buying a da or rotary, but they will keep your swirls at bay B)