What's new

P0087 Low fuel pressure fault. Any ideas before I send it to a garage?

gazzarose

Members
Reaction score
Car
Gen8 Accord Tourer
Evening gents.

Seems I have an issue my my iDtec. Bugger!

A few weeks ago I was on my way to Screwfix and as I cam through a 30mph bit of town I felt a tiny stutter then the car went in to limp mode. Igntion off and on and it restarted and drove as normal, but EML stayed on. Next day light had gone, so put it down to a brain fart but ordered a bluetooth OBD2 reader just in case. Plugged in and the stored fault was P0087. As was well for a week, ~250miles of motorway driving (usually late for work so purposeful acceleration and cruise around 75-80) but then one evening coming through a restricted section of motorway behind a lorry at 40mph it threw the fault again. It let me continue driving to the next junction, plugged in, same code which cleared and off I went again. Amongst all that I also have a slightly sticky rear caliper only noticed through increased fuel consumption, the next tank I decided to have an eco conscious tankful so drove in to work at 60 and the same home. That was on Friday, 4 days ago, and unfortunately I didn't make it home without the pesky code again. I was doing 55-60 down a hill behind a lorry about to leave the motorway and EML light came on and I lost all power. Engine died completely leaving me stopped on the side of the slip way. Ignition off and restart and it was away again with full power and normal performance. I'd read in various places that this can be caused by a dirty fuel filter, which I had changed when I serviced the car last March, but thought maybe I'd had a dodgy dose somewhere. I had a spare in the garage from skipping changing it one service so changed it Friday night. Took the car out for a 20 minute drive last night to take my parents home and car performed as it should. I tried slow driving, low gear high revs hard acceleration, high gear low revs hard acceleration and everything in between and it seemed fine. Went fine to work this morning but raised its ugly head again this evening doing 50 on a slight down hill. Balls!

So pattern seems to be lowish revs, low/lowish speed and no/little load. So pretty much the times when its using the absolute minimum amount of fuel, which would sort of go against a block filter/pipe because under high load, high consumption its fine. I couldn't see any obvious leaks anywhere. The biggest fear would be the pump itself $$$$! The OBD reader gives a reading of ~4600psi at idle jumping right up as revs rise and stays up high while driving and under load. Unfortunately I haven't logged or been watching when it goes in to fault so don't know what it drops down to, but on the face of it the pump and sensors seem fine. The only other thing would be an injector occasionally sticking open or the metering valve doing the same.

Anyone had the same symptoms and fixed it themselves? I'm pretty good mechanically and do all my own servicing on bikes and cars, and also work in a boat dealer and am usually good at fault finding on petrol engines, but a high pressure diesel pump is usually something I'd keep away from. There is a garage close to my work that are a Bosch diesel center and we've had the occasional diesel injector tested/fixed there, so my last resort is to ring them tomorrow and take it there, but thought I'd check here first incase someone else has had the same and a £120 DIY swapped metering valve did the trick.

Oh and I'm sorry if my first post for god knows how long is a begging post, but other than a dodgy driveshaft last year, my car has been good as gold and as the ever trusted family workhouse has been left un fiddled with just does it's job. My KTM enduro bike on the other hand usually needs something doing so I'm a bit more active on that forum, and I can usually help someone there if I've experience the same problem, but up until now my Accord has given me no cause to go delving in to its inner workings!

I'll ring the garage tomorrow sometime and see when they can have a look at it, but to be safe I'll leave the Accord at home and take my other car, not really the time of year I'd want to be pulling my MX5 out of its hibernation though, but at least I should be safe from frosty mornings and gritting lorrys for the next week or so!

Evening gents.

Seems I have an issue my my iDtec. Bugger!

A few weeks ago I was on my way to Screwfix and as I cam through a 30mph bit of town I felt a tiny stutter then the car went in to limp mode. Igntion off and on and it restarted and drove as normal, but EML stayed on. Next day light had gone, so put it down to a brain fart but ordered a bluetooth OBD2 reader just in case. Plugged in and the stored fault was P0087. As was well for a week, ~250miles of motorway driving (usually late for work so purposeful acceleration and cruise around 75-80) but then one evening coming through a restricted section of motorway behind a lorry at 40mph it threw the fault again. It let me continue driving to the next junction, plugged in, same code which cleared and off I went again. Amongst all that I also have a slightly sticky rear caliper only noticed through increased fuel consumption, the next tank I decided to have an eco conscious tankful so drove in to work at 60 and the same home. That was on Friday, 4 days ago, and unfortunately I didn't make it home without the pesky code again. I was doing 55-60 down a hill behind a lorry about to leave the motorway and EML light came on and I lost all power. Engine died completely leaving me stopped on the side of the slip way. Ignition off and restart and it was away again with full power and normal performance. I'd read in various places that this can be caused by a dirty fuel filter, which I had changed when I serviced the car last March, but thought maybe I'd had a dodgy dose somewhere. I had a spare in the garage from skipping changing it one service so changed it Friday night. Took the car out for a 20 minute drive last night to take my parents home and car performed as it should. I tried slow driving, low gear high revs hard acceleration, high gear low revs hard acceleration and everything in between and it seemed fine. Went fine to work this morning but raised its ugly head again this evening doing 50 on a slight down hill. Balls!

So pattern seems to be lowish revs, low/lowish speed and no/little load. So pretty much the times when its using the absolute minimum amount of fuel, which would sort of go against a block filter/pipe because under high load, high consumption its fine. I couldn't see any obvious leaks anywhere. The biggest fear would be the pump itself $$$$! The OBD reader gives a reading of ~4600psi at idle jumping right up as revs rise and stays up high while driving and under load. Unfortunately I haven't logged or been watching when it goes in to fault so don't know what it drops down to, but on the face of it the pump and sensors seem fine. The only other thing would be an injector occasionally sticking open or the metering valve doing the same.

Anyone had the same symptoms and fixed it themselves? I'm pretty good mechanically and do all my own servicing on bikes and cars, and also work in a boat dealer and am usually good at fault finding on petrol engines, but a high pressure diesel pump is usually something I'd keep away from. There is a garage close to my work that are a Bosch diesel center and we've had the occasional diesel injector tested/fixed there, so my last resort is to ring them tomorrow and take it there, but thought I'd check here first incase someone else has had the same and a £120 DIY swapped metering valve did the trick.

Oh and I'm sorry if my first post for god knows how long is a begging post, but other than a dodgy driveshaft last year, my car has been good as gold and as the ever trusted family workhouse has been left un fiddled with just does it's job. My KTM enduro bike on the other hand usually needs something doing so I'm a bit more active on that forum, and I can usually help someone there if I've experience the same problem, but up until now my Accord has given me no cause to go delving in to its inner workings!

I'll ring the garage tomorrow sometime and see when they can have a look at it, but to be safe I'll leave the Accord at home and take my other car, not really the time of year I'd want to be pulling my MX5 out of its hibernation though, but at least I should be safe from frosty mornings and gritting lorrys for the next week or so!

Hi mate I've exactly the same problem p0087 low pressure car loses power n all that. I've simply learned to live with it. I simply switch the ignition off and on for a fraction of a second mid driving and the car just drives as normal. Eml clears after a couple of stop n starts. I've been to Edinburgh and back to the Midlands with this problem but it went away and I was trouble free for well over 8000 miles later I simply narrowed it down to me driving on reserve low fuel instead of driving around on a full tank and possibly all the shyte from the bottom of the tank going thru the pump injectors etc. (I'm no mechanic btw) I dont think I will bother getting it repaired as it first happened to me around 170k my car now has over 220k and it is still going strong .

Thanks for the reply.

Was yours doing the same as mine, cutting out when not under much load? Lots of other guys with the same code fault were having it after accelerating hard, mines the only way ne I've found that is at low rpm/low load.

Had the same issue happening every month or so with mine for 18months plus was annoying but lived with it. Wasn't any real pattern could be a few minutes after start up or couple of hours into a drive and sometimes twice in the same day.
Managed to cure it with a bottle of Wynn's diesel cleaning stuff,

Specifically that one I did 2 treatments 3 tanks of fuel apart and not had the issue for 12months plus now and since I put the 1st bottle in. For the cost it's worth a punt and was surprised when it solved the issue for me.

Thanks for the reply.

Was yours doing the same as mine, cutting out when not under much load? Lots of other guys with the same code fault were having it after accelerating hard, mines the only way ne I've found that is at low rpm/low load.
Yes I'd be on the m6 at 50mph in 5th gear and the warning light would trigger and car would lose power

Thank you. I didn't ring the garage today, I think I'll wait til at least after the weekend. I'll have a look under the bonnet at access to the metering valve but also I think I'll do as the other poster said and give it a dose or too of cleaner and see how it goes.

I was worried about any terminal damage if I drove it more, but it seems to be a niggle rather than a major problem, but as it's dry this week I think I'll drive the MX5 and fingers crossed the Accord will be back to its duties next week.!

Annoyingly I would have to clear the codes to get out of limp home mode, garage couldn't find any issues had the fuel filter changed as was first thought and didn't solve it. I've dismissed the bottle cleaners etc as snake oil in the past but like I said solved the issue. I did wonder if it was cheap supermarket diesel as that was what I generally buy as convenient on way to work but do try and put the occasional tank of decent stuff in.

I think I'll do as the other poster said and give it a dose or too of cleaner and see how it goes.

let us know how you get on as I was expecting something more sinister and expensive to fix hopefully yours will be solved the same way.

Couple of bottles of snake oil ordered, I'll give it a go. Only thing is the tank is filled to the brim less just shy of 50miles worth. Any easy was of getting half a tank out to give the cleaner a stronger dose? I'm guessing I'm not going to be able to just siphon it out? I'll have a mooch about in work to see if I've got a fuel pump and some long thing tube anywhere. Only other option I thought of was use the tanks pump and disconnect the line at the bonnet end.

If you’ve changed the fuel filter with a genuine new Honda item, then next I would be having the injectors tested. I have seen this once on another idtec and it ended up being a faulty fuel pressure sensor on the rail. Cheaper to source a secondhand rail with the sensor and fuel pressure relief valve attached. Worth also trying some fuel cleaner through it a few times..

Quick little update.

I ran the full tank I had at the start of this problem down to about half, then added a bottle of cleaner and a gallon of diesel to wash it down. Ran it for the rest of the tank, then added another bottle of cleaner and added 30 litres, Ran it for another couple of weeks and its now approaching needing filling again. But so far, so good. Haven't had a fault since I put the cleaner in, but I also haven't specifically tried to cause it but driving slow, although a couple of times of times the fault did trigger as I was coming through a 50mph zone on the motorway pre cleaner, and I've been through there just about every day since and it hasn't happened.

So touch wood & fingers and toes crossed the problem has gone away!

Thanks for reporting back. Fingers crossed.