What's new

Parking sensors and Towbar fitting

darrenspragg

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Diesel Tourer
hi
my accord doesn't have park sensors - anyone fitted aftermarket ones? bit scared about drilling (and wrecking) bumper and whether the electrics are sensitive to modifications on accord - don't want to cause problems. any recommendations for products or advice?

also, i wouldn't mind a towbar but read here somewhere that the wiring caused some issues! again, any recommndations for products, fitters, etc?
Would ideally like one that can be removed so not always on view.

Hi, there is a link in the DIY section I think. This is to fit parking sensor in one of the number plate lights. Should be able to get all the Info from there

Here's the link, there is probably a better way of posting links, but I don't know how to.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/798-diy-and-review-wireless-reverse-camera/page__view__findpost__p__8202__hl__wireless__fromsearch__1

That link is for a reverse camera and looks mega hectic to install to be honest.

I have fitted parking sensors to my car and it was really easy and they work as well as the standard sensors i had on my BMW, And they only cost £16 delivered.

My car is a saloon but im sure the process will be pretty much the same for a tourer, I will do my best at a guide for the saloon (im sure it will be almost identical for the tourer)

TOOL'S NEEDED

Drill
Masking tape
Tape measure
Level
Marker pen
Scotchlocks
Screwdrivers.
In the kit you buy you will get a hole saw and everything else you need.

Ok, Using your tape measure take a measurement 24 inches from the floor to the top of your bumper, This is the hight of your sensors (tourer may be different).
Now with the masking tape, Tape across the lengh of your bumper at 24" in height. This serves 2 purposes as it allows you to mark the sensor position's and protects your paintwork when you drill the holes for your sensors.
Try and be on level ground when you take your measurment for the hight of each sensor.
Parkingsensors002.jpg

Now you have a surface to mark the position of your sensors, First locate the centre of your bumper which is easy as the boot lock catch is directly in the centre of the bumper so just put a line at this point, Now you need to measure 200mm left and right from the centre which will be the position of your inside sensors. Now measure 400mm to the outside of your bumper for the outside sensors.
It should look something like this.

+ 400mm + 200mm(centre)200mm + 400mm +
Now drill. Try not to panic as you have to be using a jack hammer to damage the paint. If your drill has a speed control use the lowest speed if your nervous.

Thats the worst bit done.
Now remove the bumper, 3 Philip's head screws located in each arch and to 10mm bolts located under little covers next to the light clusters (use a flat head screwdriver to lift the covers off)
Unclipp the bumper around the rear arch's by pulling on the bumper (dont panick just tug) then just pull the bumper away from the car. The accord has the easiest bumper i have ever removed.
user245096_pic11919_1238966623.jpg

Behind the bumper you will see a couple of rubber grommets either side, Cut a hole in the grommet in the drivers side as this is where you will feed your cables.
Push your sensors in to the bumper and feed the cables through the grommet you cut a hole in.

There is a plastic cover (trim) between the lights on the inside of the boot, This just unclips, Just give it pull and it will come away.
Now you are ready to connect your module (the brains)

Remove the carpeted side of the boot on the drivers side by unclipping the plastic lugs (flat head screw driver will do) including the lug behind the rear seat.

You will now see a white plastic box directly behind the drivers side rear seat with cables in it. This is where you will take the live feed for your sensors. You will see 2 green cables. You need to tap your positive cable in to the solid green cable with your scotchlock.
user245096_pic11921_1238966645.jpg

Now you need to connect your ground cable to the car.
at the front of the boot you will see lots of cables grounded to the car, Just unscrew the 10mm bolt and stick your ground cable amongst the bundle.
user245096_pic11922_1238966645.jpg

Now all you have to is connect all your cables to the module and position the beeper where you want to, i put mine at the top right of the boot behind the carpeted trim (just stick it to the body with the supplied double sided tape.

And thats it, Your good to go.

I have used some pictures from a previous install on my Vectra and a few i found online for the wire cables etc.
The Black Accord is mine with the sensors installed so you can see how factory they look. And to be honest i prefer mine to the factory sensors as they sit flusher to the bumper and are hardly noticeable unless your up close.

parkingsensorshonda.jpg

If you need a link to the sensors just ask and i will PM you the Ebay add. I dont know the rules about advertising and dont want to upset anyone.

The guide probably sounds really hectic but it really was easy and took about an hour to do.

I wouldnt bother with all the fuss of drilling holes, alot of members went for electromagnetic ones http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/ no holes no fuss. I fitted mine with traditional ones but would have prefered the clean look of those PD ones.

I wouldnt bother with all the fuss of drilling holes, alot of members went for electromagnetic ones http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/ no holes no fuss. I fitted mine with traditional ones but would have prefered the clean look of those PD ones.

Its a good job you didnt get them as they get interference from the metal crash bar behind the bumper.
See the reviews online. They are pony.

Its a good job you didnt get them as they get interference from the metal crash bar behind the bumper.
See the reviews online. They are pony.

Thats strange because a few long standing members fitted these and reported no problems at all.

Thats strange because a few long standing members fitted these and reported no problems at all.

Seriously. They are not very good. Manufacurers would be all over them like a rash if they were any good instead of drilling holes in there bumpers.
A few people on VecC.com bought some and ended up binning them as they had a mind of there own. I will try and find a link for the thread.

Seriously. They are not very good. Manufacurers would be all over them like a rash if they were any good instead of drilling holes in there bumpers.
A few people on VecC.com bought some and ended up binning them as they had a mind of there own. I will try and find a link for the thread.

True you have a point there they would be using them for sure if they where 100% reliable.

I forgot to mention that they should work with a towbar but if you tow anything you will need to disconnect them which is easy enough.

I fitted the electromagnic ones a while ago and I hate them. Can't depend on them at all. Probably the way I've installed them but I followed the guide to the letter.

excellent, might give them a go...?

anyone got any tow bar reviews? i don't have a caravan, nor do i want one - so no caravan club jokes please! just found having a towbar useful on previous vehicles
actually have a tow bar on my VW camper but at approx 40hp i'm not going to tow a great deal with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

excellent, might give them a go...?

anyone got any tow bar reviews? i don't have a caravan, nor do i want one - so no caravan club jokes please! just found having a towbar useful on previous vehicles
actually have a tow bar on my VW camper but at approx 40hp i'm not going to tow a great deal with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the lack of reversing sensors is one of two things I dislike about the Accord - I'm inspired

bought the scotchlok's

ordered the reversing sensor kit off ebay

and found a video on removing the bumper

it's American but it looks identical to my bumper - perhaps some of the wiser members of the forum can confirm it's accuracy

04-07 Accord Rear Bumper Removal

Oh just forgot, I was going to take some pics of the job but as crespo has done such a good job I don't think I could add much more to it :ph34r:

btw what is the best way of painting the sensors???? Spray or Brush? where is the best place to source the paint??? and does anyone have any suggestions for a good finish?

As the lack of reversing sensors is one of two things I dislike about the Accord - I'm inspired

bought the scotchlok's

ordered the reversing sensor kit off ebay

and found a video on removing the bumper

it's American but it looks identical to my bumper - perhaps some of the wiser members of the forum can confirm it's accuracy

04-07 Accord Rear Bumper Removal

Oh just forgot, I was going to take some pics of the job but as crespo has done such a good job I don't think I could add much more to it ;)

btw what is the best way of painting the sensors???? Spray or Brush? where is the best place to source the paint??? and does anyone have any suggestions for a good finish?

As my car is black i just got some gloss black sensors and they are a good match for nighthawk black. On my old Volvo that was a metalic pearl green, I got the paint from Halfords in there ready mixed section. If they dont have it pre mixed i wouldnt rely on them to mix it for you. Instead go to your dealers and buy a spray tin of paint. It shouldnt be more than £15 for paint and laquer.

First give the sensors 2 light coats of primer followed by 2 light coats of colour and 1 coat of laquer. 2 if needed.
As you can see from the photo it came out pretty well.
morecarpics043.jpg

I used a hairdryer in between coats to speed up the process and added coats when touch dry. Be carefull not to burn the paint though if you use this method and be patient and dont go nuts with the paint. The finish on my Volvo came out factory with this method.

hi
set on fleabay come in various colours, how do i find the colour of my car? it's kind of grey/silver metallic, graphite? be cheaper to try to get coloured ones rather than cost of spraying myself. however, my front bumper has been badly touched up on one corner so maybe a touch up kit not a bad idea. is there a list on here of colours?
not sure i have the patience for it though! ?

Also, my bumper has popped out slightly on PS and doesnt stay flush when i push it back - is this just a clip missing or broken, which i could change while i do my sensors'?

Wow, just wanted to post a quick thanks to Crespo for the detailed instructions... looks like that's top of my list when I get my accord!

hi
my accord doesn't have park sensors - anyone fitted aftermarket ones? bit scared about drilling (and wrecking) bumper and whether the electrics are sensitive to modifications on accord - don't want to cause problems. any recommendations for products or advice?

also, i wouldn't mind a towbar but read here somewhere that the wiring caused some issues! again, any recommndations for products, fitters, etc?
Would ideally like one that can be removed so not always on view.

If you look at the original HONDA ACCORD brochure you could have reverse parking sensors fitted, but if you wanted a towbar fitted they advised that only a detachable type could be used....I have no idea how the wiring is done, but it obviously can be - I'm clueless in that area :ph34r:

See what it's going to cost for a towbar install, and get them to fit yr reverse park sensors at same time - let someone else have the wiring headache!!

I had a towbar fitted to my Tourer.
It was fitted by TowEquipe. They were very good came to my house took a couple of hours to fit, a very neat job. Cost around £200.
I used it once to tow a trailer with a car on, but use it mainly for the bike rack.

I spoke to towequippe and it was far more than £200! more like £400 and that was with a jan sale.....
i think the tow bar can wait a while or i'll DIY when bumper comes off for sensors. i would have a removable one too....

£400 :eek: Their prices have shot up in a year then! Having watched the guy fit it, doesn't seem like to bad a DIY job.

I have a towbar that I fitted myself, I got it from towsure. I wasn’t bothered about removable so got their basic fixed one for under £100. I did have to make a small cut in the bumper but it is underneath and doesnt show much at all. I think you can buy an addon to make it removable for another £60. I think you are supposed to wire it up using a relay but I didn’t and it has been fine for me. Total cost including electrics was just a bit over £100.

My car has parking sensors and the towbar doesn’t affect them.

My 2p

You talked about wiring problems later on etc. I would strongly advise against using Scotch Locks for any automotive wiring. They are a bodgers tool and IMHO not a very good one at that. Crimps would be my easiest first choice. Soldering and shrink wrapping would be even better though.

back to towbars - does anyone know what make and model Honda fit as part of their range of options? clearly they dont make their own so it must be one i can buy from somewhere else?

bump
today i fitted the witter detachable towbar to my 2.2d saloon. i compared pictures of the witter and the official honda item and i reckon they are one and the same. either that or a very good copy ;)

my car has reversing sensors too, 4 of the little ******s. i was very happy to find the towbar did not interfere with the operation of the sensors. compared to my bmw (RIP you badboy!) the towing ball does sit closer to the bumper which i guess was a design decision so it doesnt conflict with the reversing sensors.

edit: little bugg3rs is a naughty word? :wub:

As my car is black i just got some gloss black sensors and they are a good match for nighthawk black. On my old Volvo that was a metalic pearl green, I got the paint from Halfords in there ready mixed section. If they dont have it pre mixed i wouldnt rely on them to mix it for you. Instead go to your dealers and buy a spray tin of paint. It shouldnt be more than £15 for paint and laquer.

First give the sensors 2 light coats of primer followed by 2 light coats of colour and 1 coat of laquer. 2 if needed.
As you can see from the photo it came out pretty well.
morecarpics043.jpg

I used a hairdryer in between coats to speed up the process and added coats when touch dry. Be carefull not to burn the paint though if you use this method and be patient and dont go nuts with the paint. The finish on my Volvo came out factory with this method.

Hey guys, First time posting, love the forum, have gotten some great tips and advice in the past. Hoping someone can help with a query on spraying reverse parking sensors. I've decided to spray mine to match color of car - NH658P. For anyone that has sprayed sensors before have you used metallic or non-metallic paint? I have read that metallic paint can interfere with the sensor but not sure if its possible to get non-metallic paint for code NH658P. Anyone any ideas or advice?

Cheers,

crespo said:
That link is for a reverse camera and looks mega hectic to install to be honest.I have fitted parking sensors to my car and it was really easy and they work as well as the standard sensors i had on my BMW, And they only cost £16 delivered.My car is a saloon but im sure the process will be pretty much the same for a tourer, I will do my best at a guide for the saloon (im sure it will be almost identical for the tourer)TOOL'S NEEDEDDrillMasking tapeTape measure Level Marker penScotchlocksScrewdrivers.In the kit you buy you will get a hole saw and everything else you need.Ok, Using your tape measure take a measurement 24 inches from the floor to the top of your bumper, This is the hight of your sensors (tourer may be different).Now with the masking tape, Tape across the lengh of your bumper at 24" in height. This serves 2 purposes as it allows you to mark the sensor position's and protects your paintwork when you drill the holes for your sensors.Try and be on level ground when you take your measurment for the hight of each sensor.
Parkingsensors002.jpg
Now you have a surface to mark the position of your sensors, First locate the centre of your bumper which is easy as the boot lock catch is directly in the centre of the bumper so just put a line at this point, Now you need to measure 200mm left and right from the centre which will be the position of your inside sensors. Now measure 400mm to the outside of your bumper for the outside sensors.It should look something like this.+ 400mm + 200mm(centre)200mm + 400mm +Now drill. Try not to panic as you have to be using a jack hammer to damage the paint. If your drill has a speed control use the lowest speed if your nervous.Thats the worst bit done.Now remove the bumper, 3 Philip's head screws located in each arch and to 10mm bolts located under little covers next to the light clusters (use a flat head screwdriver to lift the covers off)Unclipp the bumper around the rear arch's by pulling on the bumper (dont panick just tug) then just pull the bumper away from the car. The accord has the easiest bumper i have ever removed.
user245096_pic11919_1238966623.jpg
Behind the bumper you will see a couple of rubber grommets either side, Cut a hole in the grommet in the drivers side as this is where you will feed your cables.Push your sensors in to the bumper and feed the cables through the grommet you cut a hole in.There is a plastic cover (trim) between the lights on the inside of the boot, This just unclips, Just give it pull and it will come away.Now you are ready to connect your module (the brains)Remove the carpeted side of the boot on the drivers side by unclipping the plastic lugs (flat head screw driver will do) including the lug behind the rear seat.You will now see a white plastic box directly behind the drivers side rear seat with cables in it. This is where you will take the live feed for your sensors. You will see 2 green cables. You need to tap your positive cable in to the solid green cable with your scotchlock.
user245096_pic11921_1238966645.jpg
Now you need to connect your ground cable to the car. at the front of the boot you will see lots of cables grounded to the car, Just unscrew the 10mm bolt and stick your ground cable amongst the bundle.
user245096_pic11922_1238966645.jpg
Now all you have to is connect all your cables to the module and position the beeper where you want to, i put mine at the top right of the boot behind the carpeted trim (just stick it to the body with the supplied double sided tape.And thats it, Your good to go.I have used some pictures from a previous install on my Vectra and a few i found online for the wire cables etc.The Black Accord is mine with the sensors installed so you can see how factory they look. And to be honest i prefer mine to the factory sensors as they sit flusher to the bumper and are hardly noticeable unless your up close.
parkingsensorshonda.jpg
I know it was awhile ago, but thanks for this post. I've just finished fitting a similar aftermarket kit to mine. Worth noting that the proceedure is exactly the same on the tourer and the wiring harness is in the same place.

Hi all, does anyone know where the Sensor unit is located for the reversing units - mine has recently started playing up, when it is wet it just gives continuous beep instead of intermittent - but not all the time, I suspect a faulty contact so if I can find it I will check all connections - its an 05 Accord 2.4 auto exec Tourer - thanks in advance for your help.