What's new

petrol VTEC or diesel accord opinions/help

toffee_pie said:
nah, in Ireland that is what we call it, Ireland is full of 'daysul's' its a bit comical at this stage the amount of them on the road. In most cases people have sold perfectly good petrol cars to be the proud owner of a more tax friendly 'daysul' version. Nothing wrong with that but the saving of a few hundred Euro a year on tax is offset by a large loan to fund this lavish lifesyle of black smoke. Only in Ireland......

In comparison to tax my Lexus in Ireland would cost you....wait for it, over 1,000EU for a year, don't know the exact figure but i think its over that.

cant beat the government in Ireland.
consequences of rebellion

The u-turn on diesel is starting in the UK, Ireland won't be too far behind.

UK Govt has encouraged people to buy diesel with lower road tax, but now pollution levels have risen, the EU is fining us for it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/11007326/Diesel-car-drivers-betrayed-as-EU-cracks-down-on-Britain-over-air-pollution.html

So road tax on diesels will start going up, be banned for central London also and many other cities.

Nothing worse than being behind a diesel when it 'drops it guts' and you disappear into a cloud of cancerous smoke, quick rush for the recirculate button..

diesels are more polluting than petrol, the black plume of smoke is a hint., the good thing about the lexus is it does recirculate automatically when it senses this cancerous smoke with the smog sensor at the front

Jon_G said:
Why does a petrol model make more sense for someone doing 10-12k miles a year? Lower road tax and better MPG work out as a positive benefit whatever the annual mileage, surely?

Does the 8th gen diesel really only get high 30s MPG under non-motorway use? That's a fair bit worse than the 7th gen!

But I'd still avoid a diesel with a DPF...
Sadly yes, 36.6 MPG is the best I get around the town and on a 12 mile each way commute, get onto a long run though and get Mid 50's which I am happy with........... :) :)

Black smoke on diesels is usually from those stupid dpfs which are sposed to be there to lower emissions in reality the opposite happens. I've never seen black smoke in my rear mirror on the ictdi but used to all the time on my audi tdi. My next car will be a petrol though as I don't do enough milage now to justify having a diesel.

Hi all, thanks for all the input, I have chosen to go for a diesel for the economy and also if I get a petrol I have the feeling I will compare it to previous petrol cars I have had and feel its a bit gutless. I have put a deposit down on a saloon EX GT, full Honda history etc etc going for a test drive/proper look on Sunday so fingers crossed I will join the fold soon!!!
Thanks

Hi all, got my new 08 plate accord last week, black i-dtec ex gt with 18" Honda delta wheels :) thanks for all the input etc delighted with car, very well put together and incredibly comfy! Still unsure his to work sat nav and figure out the onboard servicing but a read of the owners manual on a quiet day will help no doubt. Got a few plans form the car to make it my own, just waiting non bits arriving in the post. I am sure I will have numerous questions in my ownership of the car that I will bore you with!!
Thanks