What's new

pinking

Davemission

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th gen 1.8 Sport
Hi all- my 2002 Sport has started pinking . Does anyone know the likeliest cause? I suspect it may be because of crappy petrol (my local Murco is renowned for this!) but if anyone has some suggestions for a cure I'd be grateful! It's most noticeable when under load- especially when going up hills. Cheers Honda Buddies

Has it started doing it recently or after something changed?

Its been a slow, gradual thing over the last couple of months I suppose- barely noticeable at first to the point where I am today where its annoying to say the least! Seems down on power too (not that it had much lol) and a bit thirstier. Thanks for the quick reply btw - any ideas?

Try a high octane fuel and see if that cures it - then you can either confirm or cross off the quality of the fuel you're using :)

Good idea- cheers mate. (I'll have to see about a mortgage for a tankful of Vpower lol!)

I wouldn't say it's an octane issue, more a quality issue. The lowest octane sold in the UK is 95, which is exactly what the Accord is mapped to use, which means whacking in 98 or higher will make naff all difference as far as performance.

My suggestion, run the current tank dry and then put in a tenners worth of 95 from a reputable garage (Texaco, BP, etc.) and go for a hard drive and burn off the tenner. Then, go back to the same garage and brim with 95. By now it should of worked off the cheap quality fuel and started to pump through the better stuff. Just seems to me like you've been unlucky and got a bad batch of fuel.

had this happen to me a few months back, have a look at your distributor cap and rotor arm, mine were all corroded up and the cap was very worn so i replaced them and its been fine since.

I wouldn't say it's an octane issue, more a quality issue. The lowest octane sold in the UK is 95, which is exactly what the Accord is mapped to use, which means whacking in 98 or higher will make naff all difference as far as performance.

Sounds like the car is suffering from detonation, and a fuel's octane rating is an indication of its resistance to detonation, so upping the octane could cure it. Iirc the manual in my F20B6 fitted Accord stated that 97 octane fuel should be used, I know you can use regular fuel as the ECU should be able to retard the timing appropriately - but on an older engine the octane requirement can increase due to deposits in the engine heating up and/or raising compression. That's more common on carby cars though I understand.

But... If it never used to suffer from detonation on the same fuel, then something has changed. Either the ignition timing is being put out somehow, the compression of the engine has been raised somehow, or that's an incredibly bad batch of fuel!

As mentioned above, when was the dizzy cap last replaced? Simplest solutions first :)

Thanks guys for all your thoughts on my little problem - as you have suggested, fuel may be the culprit and I am inclined to agree. I've always thought that the crappy fuel quality rumours with regards to my local Murco were a bit overblown - I mean, petrol is petrol isn't it? However, seems they may be right. I shall bung some better stuff in the tank next time and give it D/cap a look over. I would really love to give it one of those new fangled de-carbonisation flush out thingys as endorsed by Mr China but, as they say, times are hard lol. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time guys SD

Thanks guys for all your thoughts on my little problem - as you have suggested, fuel may be the culprit and I am inclined to agree. I've always thought that the crappy fuel quality rumours with regards to my local Murco were a bit overblown - I mean, petrol is petrol isn't it? However, seems they may be right. I shall bung some better stuff in the tank next time and give it D/cap a look over. I would really love to give it one of those new fangled de-carbonisation flush out thingys as endorsed by Mr China but, as they say, times are hard lol. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time guys SD

Nooo lordy do not put an engine flush in there! My old boss used to tell us to put these in the cars when doing a service...I stopped after 3 cars started knocking.

In simple terms, the whole point of the stuff is to wash away carbon. Thats great, but not when it washes away carbon build up on the rings which is helping to seal the rings against the liners in the bores. Wash all that carbon off the rings, and your gonna start getting some rather nasty running issues.

Use a fuel flush by all means, they're great...Just avoid the engine flush if your engines done any sort of decent mileage.

I think the Ed China endorsed one is the Terraclean system?? There was a big thread on it here a while back. I'd be interested to get it done on my Golf, and then strip it down after to inspect the cylinders. Don't fancy spending that much just out of curiosity though :lol:

Try a bottle of BG44K before paying out hundreds for proper treatments - it only lasts a few tankfuls before it gums up again though (IME).

Hi all- my 2002 Sport has started pinking . Does anyone know the likeliest cause? I suspect it may be because of crappy petrol (my local Murco is renowned for this!) but if anyone has some suggestions for a cure I'd be grateful! It's most noticeable when under load- especially when going up hills. Cheers Honda Buddies

It is worth to check valve clearance too. I feel like driving new car after I have adjusted valve clearances to my car :rolleyes: they were to small.

valve clearances for f20b6: in-0.1"; ex-0.12"

Any news on this one?

Mines started to knocking, but only when running on Petrol(The car is converted to run on LPG).