What's new

Poor dipped beam.

Howslo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer Ex 2.0i-vtec
I've seen mentioned on here many times complaints of poor dipped beam headlights. I have a pair of tourers. With my original diesel one I had no complaints about the dipped beam at all, and that was with bog standard Halfords bulbs.

Thanks to suspected timing chain failure, that one has been replaced with a 2.0 i-vtec. I'm not sure what bulbs are fitted, but they have a blue tinge...and are so dim I may as well gaffer tape a torch to the bonnet!

There are no issues with the headlamp units themselves, as they have been replaced by the previous owner snd are as clear as any I've seen.

I've also noticed when facing a wall the beam pattern is all over the place, whereas on the other car each lamp produces nice straight lines.

So, my suspicion is either poor aim, or rubbish or incorrectly fitted bulbs. Or maybe a combination of all three! First, I'll see if they are fitted correctly. I have a spare set of standard bulbs here, so may try those.

At least having both cars here (for now) I can compare bulb position with ones I know are correct.

Any other thoughts?

Replace them with osram night breakers. Ring xenon look or Philips extreme. I have the ring ones and they are very good and have lasted about 6months so far.

answered your own question, the previous owner as replaced the lamps and for some reason not set up the beam pattern. its easy enough prk the car facing a wall/garage and then adjust the beam till they are in line, the adjuster is on the top of the headlamp, if its still rubiish after that then look at new bulbs.

Problem solved. Very poor blue bulbs. Put the Bosch ones in that I bought for the other car. Had a quick drive down an unlit road. No problem at all now.