What's new

Poor fuel consumption?

Roylewaa

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord SE Exec
Hi chaps

Ive got some concerns things might be a miss with my 2 litres fuel consumption, I know the 2 litre 6th Gen isint exackly the most frugal car in the world :lol: However at the moment I only seem to be getting around a 50 mile range at best on £15 of fuel with mixed (mostly town) driving

I know the time of year will affect the figures as well and well, £15 of fuel aint exackly alot these days, I would of thought it would be doing a little better than this, as I hardly ever go into VTEC and pretty much drive the car like an old fart

Is their anything I can look at to maybe improve these figures slightly? I was browsing the forums and read that a tired Lambda can cause lower fuel consumption, and my VC's need doing (still :lol: ) which I was waiting until my dredded mot is out of the way next week (and ive just had to tax it :( ) so getting the VC's done keeps kind of getting put off

Ive noticed that light acceleration at low revs is a little surgy aswell if that has anything to do with things?

Cheers for any advice :)

hmm you cant just say £15 of fuel = 50 miles... not very accurate..

lets say fuel in your area is £1.319 per liter.. so:

£15/£1.319 = 11.372 Liters = around 2.45 Gallons

your car does say 25mpg (around town.. its cold etc)..
so 2.45Gallons.. @25mpg = 61 miles from '£15'

no considering putting £15 of fuel is not an accurate way to measure fuel consumption...
i think its about right TBH.

also what are VC's ??? i presume you mean CV's ? (constant velocity joint)

jurk at low revs could be due to spark plugs (dont know if the 6th gen uses coil pack or dizzy) but could be down to one of these breaking down ?

Cheers mate, fuel at my local petrol station is £1.35.1 a litre

Yes I know I havent been very accurate, and basically just worked it out from the reserve light coming on, £15 in, driving 47 miles then reserve light coming on again

I meant Valve Clearances, and its a Dizzy

ok fair enough....

when was your dizzy replaced ? a poor spark wont ignite the fuel as efficiently which will cause a drop in fuel consumption.
have you checked you spark plug gaps ? HT leads.

there is a lot of things that vary fuel consumption... and the worst is actually driving

2.0l 6th gen isnt the best for economy, I used to get from a full tank 330 before the light came on, It needed a 6th gear tbh. When I did only town driving and short journeys my mpg would plummet. I think its the nature of this car.

I clean my brakes, carriers and slide pins once a year to check nothing is binding and hopefully will remain that way until the next time lol.

Obviously keep the services upto date, run my tyres at 35psi, don't carry a boot full of junk and don't run the aircon constantly - but do run it often intermittently to keep the gas moving which apparently keeps the seals in good condition.

I still need to do the EGR, VC's and IACV.

Obviously heavy acceleration or braking won't be econonical but you mentioned you don't drive that way. You might like to know that at 1100rpms and above no fuel is injected if the throttle is closed (point 3)

PGM-FI_zps7abbbc8f.jpg

My 5G (F20Z1) would see circa 220 miles from full tank to petrol light.

My ATR sees 210 or 200 from full to petrol light (circa £70) and this time of year more like 180/190.

Cold weather and short journeys is a nightmare.

The reason why town driving is bad for mpg is because of the way a car engine works. Sounds a very trite thing to say, but think of it this way

If you leave a car engine running on your driveway, then it's doing 0 mpg.

If you drive in 1st gear with the engine on idle at say 5mph, then you'd think that your mpg would be phenomenally good, but in fact it wouldn't be much better than 0 mpg.

As you go a bit quicker, the rolling resistance of your tyres start to increase, so you'd think that at 10 mph you'd be worse than at 5 mph. Not so.

Think of an internal combustion engine as a device that leaks fuel at a constant rate. As you go faster, you go a longer distance in agiven period of time, so the leak of fuel "spreads out" in time. To go faster , you do need more power, but the power required is not as much as the fuel leak in the beginning. So at low speeds, the fuel leak would dominate over the fuel actually required to be converted to power,even at 30% efficiency.

The most economical speed is around 40 to 50 mph, depending on: .... the "fuel leak", the efficiency at which the engine converts fuel to power, the rolling resistance of the tyres, and the aero drag of the car.

Slower than that and the "fuel leak" dominates. Faster than that and the drag dominates. Over 50 mph, the power required to overcome drag goes up as a cube of the speed. So 100mph needs 8 times more power than 50 mph.

Blimey, I gt a bit carried away there, can't be bothered to go back and edit it to less words :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have 24-25mpg all the time. Weather doesn't matter. And there is nothing to change anymore(spark plugs, distributor cap, oxygen sensors, HT leads and etc. everything is changed).
Automatic transmission. Driving in town, old man driving style. It seems like this f20b6 engine is total ***** in fuel consumption.

Thanks for all the info guys, kind of puts things into perspective, so I reckon im doing around 25 around town

I will check Dizzy, plugs, ht leads and 02 sensor as a matter of course :)

I have 24-25mpg all the time. Weather doesn't matter. And there is nothing to change anymore(spark plugs, distributor cap, oxygen sensors, HT leads and etc. everything is changed).
Automatic transmission. Driving in town, old man driving style. It seems like this f20b6 engine is total ***** in fuel consumption.

Mine's doing about 24mpg at the mo - mix of short journeys and slightly longer mixed runs, and I drive like an old gimmer these days!. I had a Primera eGT before this and that engine was superb. Even when I caned it, it would still never drop below 30mpg. The VTEC engine might be reliable, but it's thirsty and gutless.