What's new

popping out of 1st gear

si_d_2003

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CTDI
Hey guys can anyone shed any light on this problem? I have a 2007 diesel accord which pops out of 1st gear probably 2 out of 10 times. I saw on Honest John website that there was reports of this problem: Honda Accord 2003 - Car Review | Honest John
Scroll down and you will find: Problem of 2006MY 6 speed manual boxes on diesels jumping out of 1st gear. Modification available from Honda, but parts on back order in March 2007.
I cannot for the life of me get any info out of the dealers as they don't know about this or heard anything out the modification.
Does anyone have any more info or suggestions that I can try.
Thanks

Simon

That's a synchro thingy I think. I remember something about that with the six-speeds, but it was rectified pretty quickly. I actually think it was only a batch of them rather than all six-speeds

However, it's not something simpler now that the car is 8 years old? I would imagine in the first 3 years of warranty the original owner would have experienced this

Are your engine mounts ok? If the engine rocks forward/back, it can pull on the gear shifter cable and pop it out of first. You'll find this more on take-off (hence 1st) as the torque conversion at the gearbox, coupled with the physical acceleration of the car can pull on the shifter cables.

its more on over run when you let your foot off the pedal in first.
On another note, Just another thing the misses rang saying clutch pedals broke, bearing in mind I changed the clutch master 6 months ago. I looked at it and the plate attached to the m/cylinder has 3 bolts in. One has sheared the head off and has now dropped all the fluid. I'm changing it under warranty from allparts and its a blue print one. Any problems with excessive pressure on these or is it just a one off chance its faulty? or is it because its not a honda part?

Again, check the mounts first, it's simpler. But it could be internal to the box itself.

Yeah, the clutch pedal plate (that the clutch attaches to) can be weak. It's actually quite strong on the forward/back movement, but any lateral movement and it'll break. It's only spot welded and you really need all three bolts to make sure it doesn't pop. The CMC mounts with 2 bolts, through this plate as you know, but the 3rd one (at the top) actually keeps this in shape. If replacing the CMC make sure the pedal plate is still intact and use all three bolts.