What's new

Possible problem with handbrake on 06 type s tourer

philcoxb

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Type S
Hi guys,

I've had my tourer for just over 2 years now, and all that time when the handbrake is on I can rock the car slightly forwards and backwards, maybe 10 or 15cm's along the road. When it stops it does so quite abruptly, as if the handbrake isn't on properly but then is yanked on.

I had the rear discs, pads and shoes (I think) replaced at Honda in Yeovil last year, and for a very short while it was better (although the handbrake was much stiffer than before to pull on) but it has now reverted back.

The handbrake has never failed, there's just this small amount of roll possible.

Is this normal? Any help or advice will be gratefully received!

Thanks a lot.

3 clicks will hold the car on a slight slope, but I tend to pull up 2 more (to 5 total) to make sure it's nice and tight.

Phil
That does not sound right my Tourer does not move once handbrake is on.

As Honda changed the brakes last year is there any chance you could ask them to check their work?
Failing that have a go yourself, there are a couple of posts and photo's available here to help guide you + I would check that the cables are operating freely

It's possible they've done something detrimental I guess, but it was doing it before.

I think I'll get the wheels off at the weekend and have a look around. Failing that it's going into Honda soon so I'll get them to have a look at it then. It's been like it for at least 2 years, another few months won't hurt!

so on five clicks does it still move?
Yes, regardless of how hard the handbrake is pulled on the car can still be rocked using 1st and reverse.
It feels like the shoes are engaged with the drum lining, but the drum itself is moving on it's mounting bolts, although I'm not sure this is even possible, it's just what it feels like.

12000 miles tops. Car has just ticked over to 40k this week.
I ***umed genuine parts used; brakes were done at local Honda garage under the Honda Happiness scheme. I always use the Honda garage. Is it possible they wouldn't have used genuine Honda parts?

I'll ask the garage to look into it when it's in next I think, sounds complicated!

If I stop on a hill put the handbrake on and then take foot break off the car does move slightly and I mean slightly as if the shoes move then they lock, always thought it was a bit strange but cudnt see anything wrong when I changed discs.

If I stop on a hill put the handbrake on and then take foot break off the car does move slightly and I mean slightly as if the shoes move then they lock, always thought it was a bit strange but cudnt see anything wrong when I changed discs.
That sounds just like mine, doesn't move much but is enough to make you think something isn't quite right...