What's new

Power Steering Fluid Change

ScoobyDoo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Auto Est 2.4
I know this has probably been discussed on here and there are some 'mad man' type videos of methods to do this on t'internet however I thought I would share a method I used for a one man PAS fluid change. Might help others. I am not sure how much fluid gets changed using this method vs engine running method but I would ***ume most of it and I can say from experience a noticeable improvement in steering, less notchy & a bit more smoother.

So basically what I did is;
1- Sucked out the reservoir fluid with a fluid extractor (various methods of fluid extraction available)
2- Disconnect the return hose from the reservoir (smaller pipe at the sort of mid point of the reservoir)
3- Plug the reservoir return pip connection so no fluid comes back out as you fill
4- Placed a suitable collection bottle under the return pipe hose or stuck the hose in it, or extend it to a more suitable location and leave it pointing into a collection container.
5- Release the tension on the aux belt and slip it off the PAS Pump (could do this at the beginning if you want to)
6- Fill the reservoir to the top or near enough (sort any leakage from the blocked return hose connector if needed)
7- Spin the PAS pump pulley by hand and collect the fluid out of the return hose bit by bit and fill the reservoir as it depletes (don't let it run out completely)

I managed to flush through a few litres like this and fluid seemed to go from a dark brown colour to a cleaner colour. Once satisfied and with the reservoir at the lower level beneath the return connector, re-connect the hoses, top up the fluid, re-install the aux belt and that's it.

No messy fluid squirting out at high speed all over the shop and screaming to your mate START - STOP - START - STOP - START - STOP - START - F*#k

Steering seems better.