What's new

Power Steering Fluid Leak (genuine vs Aftermarket Parts)

eleveneleven

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 2007
My car has a severe power steering leak. the source of the leak seems to be coming from the power steering cooling pipe behind the front bumper, I'm guessing it has corroded. Honda want £180 for the part but there's an aftermarket part on Ebay for £48.

Is it worth shelling out the extra for the genuine part or would I be ok with an aftermarket one?

Thanks

I see that you didn't get any replies. What did you opt for in the end? I have the same problem and was about to ask a similar question.
By coincidence I'm also in Bolton so it would be handy to know who fixed it for you, how much etc.

Thanks
John

Quite easy to make your own cooler pipe.As said copper pipe best as it wont corrode.Having said that many just want to buy the part and fit themselves.Mine is pretty much gone but ive prolonged its life by keeping it greased up so stopping the corrosion getting any worse.
Aftermarket part would be just fine no need for OEM here just a regular coat of grease will ensure it never rots.

I bought a couple meters of 10mm hose and an auto transmission cooler from a Mercedes c250 and made my own cooler. Cost £40 in all

I went with the original in the end £189 from Cox motor parts which is quite expensive considering what it is. Knowing what I know now i'd be comfortable going with an aftermarket part or getting the part custom made, both options are considerably cheaper.

Fixing took about 1.5 hours, it's not a big job but the front bumper needs to be removed. My mechanic charged me £100 to fit it. so £289 in total. (would have been around £150 with an aftermarket part)