What's new

Power Steering Fluid leaking - how to replace steering rack

brunlea

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord cdti
Hi,

Does anyone know what is involved in replacing a steering rack? I have a 2005 honda accord 2.2cdti saloon and it looks like it has been leaking power steering fluid for a while from the steering rack. Does anything need to be done to the subframe in order to do the replacement? Does it need to be removed/raised etc? I spoke to a mechanic and he said he may have to do something like that but was not sure at this point so i just want to confirm.

Thanks

I'm in the same position where my rack appears to be leaking and I might be looking to replace too...there are instructions in the honda workshop manual about removing the steering gearbox which involves removing the whole rack but that does not include lowering the sub-frame from what I can tell however if you didn't have such a manual to refer to you might well think you had to.

I've been reading a few threads on other sites about this as its a common problem and some owners have had some success with lucas power steering stop leak fluid, it works by reconditioning the seals and is compatible with all fluids, might be worth a try for a tenner or two. Also there are a few companies offering a refurbishment service (ebay) so that'll save you on purchasing a new unit, hope that is helpful but let us know how you get on.

I haven't investigated mine fully yet but it "might" be the high pressure line going from the pump to rack, The O ring may have gone or the bracket might just needs tightening, trouble is it ****es all over the gator so it can also look like its coming from the end seal of the rack like this....

v83scx.jpg

The area needs cleaning and monitoring just to identify where the leak is coming from so it could be a simple fix rather than replace the entire rack, you can even get a replacement hose from fleabay rather pay full blown honda prices...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-HONDA-ACCORD-2-2-DIESEL-POWER-STEERING-HIGH-PRESSURE-HOSE-Pipe-NEW/173273011363?hash=item2857e054a3:g:f-cAAOSw1kRbC7v8

Thought this was very handy as I used it as a guide to replace mine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjBlfbLiCWw

I didn't remove the lower wishbone bolts or use a jack or stands to support anything once the rear subframe bolts were removed, frankly there is enough remaining support to not require it.