What's new

Power Steering Fluid

-Rich-

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 Tourer Auto
I was checking the oil the other day and noticed that the PAS fluid is on the minimum mark. I've had the car coming up for 2.5 years now but I'm fairly sure it's dropped. It was no where near maximum when I bought it but it's definitely gone down. Is this normal for it to use it or could I have a leak somewhere?

I've seen a guide on how to flush/change the fluid but is it worth doing that or should I just top it up and monitor the level? Does anyone know how much Holdcroft charge for PAS fluid via the forum, they sell it for £14 a litre on ebay?

Holdcroft maybe able to do free postage on that if you ring up.
Good stuff selecting genuine fluids. Heard Honda PAS systems really does need the genuine stuff.

I would say top up - no need for a flush unless there is an issue with the power steering. i.e noises or if the steering is heavier than usual etc
Not even sure if there is a service interval for the power steering fluid. Dont think there is

You wanna see the crud that's come out of the rack on mine!

148k and the thing would pulse through the steering wheel with any input.

Fresh fluid and 10k later it's loads better. Pulled the reservoir last week, removed the last of the crud and refilled again with fresh Honda PSF and it's perfect.

I was thinking about a recon rack beforehand as it was horrendous, but fresh fluid's fixed it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not to say it'd never been swapped out with the wrong fluid in the past, as I do t know the full history.

What I do know is, my previous accord, that's been in the family since 11k miles, started to do it too on full lock approaching 100k, and that was on its original fluid.
Changing the fluid is cheap, and in my experience necessary, unless you like driving round a curve as if it's faceted like a 50p piece.

The car is on 112k miles now so I think some fresh fluid would be good for it :) I've not experienced any steering issues but all the other fluids get changed so why shouldn't this :)

I ordered 2 x 1L bottles last night from HH on ebay, with the 20% off they were doing so just over £11 a bottle.

I'm away next week so will top it up beforehand and keep an eye on the level. When I'm happy it's not dropped I'll do the flush/change, I think I need a litre to do it so should have plenty.

Keep us updated

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Well I emptied the reservoir the day before we went away and topped it up with fresh fluid. It doesn't take much to fill it, probably around 300ml so the difference between the lower and upper marks is fairly small.

I filled it up to the upper mark and we went away the next day, covering around 400 miles. I checked it when we got home 10 days later and it was just above the lower mark.

So could this be a sign of a leak somewhere or is it likely to be that's where the fluid prefers to sit? I'll keep an eye on it for another month or so before flushing it.

There is an interval for changing PSF. I will check it out and post tomorrow.
It is not normal to have the fluid at minimum, if it was close to max at first. This fluid goes somewhere, it does not evaporate, so it should have leaked out of somewhere. Better check your PS system.

I did mine about a week ago, I emptied the reservoir, jacked the front off the ground, and put a hose from the return to a catch can.
Then I just filled the res, and kept it filled while I turned the wheel from left to right the old fluid looked like coffee in colour, it can't be good for the rack or pump to have old stuff like that in it.
Finally topped the bottle off and cranked the car over then stopped it. All the old stuff out and fresh stuff inside.

If its loosing fluid then its prob the rack, check the rack boots for signs of oil which means the piston seals have failed and the boots are filling with pas oil. Mileage not revelent either, looked at an accord coupe last week, very low miles and the rack was leaking. Lucas do an additive for the oil which expands the seals, ok if you were looking to sell the car.

Should the level be checked hot or cold or doesn't it matter? I don't think it should make a difference as it doesn't heat up. But the level seems to have risen abit now and is just under the upper level. I've been checking it on level ground so the only thing I can think of is there's air in the system.

Bounder said:
I did mine about a week ago, I emptied the reservoir, jacked the front off the ground, and put a hose from the return to a catch can.
Then I just filled the res, and kept it filled while I turned the wheel from left to right the old fluid looked like coffee in colour, it can't be good for the rack or pump to have old stuff like that in it.
Finally topped the bottle off and cranked the car over then stopped it. All the old stuff out and fresh stuff inside.
Any reason for jacking the front up?

-Rich- said:
Should the level be checked hot or cold or doesn't it matter? I don't think it should make a difference as it doesn't heat up. But the level seems to have risen abit now and is just under the upper level. I've been checking it on level ground so the only thing I can think of is there's air in the system.

Any reason for jacking the front up?
Yep to make it effortless to spin the wheel from lock to lock.