What's new

Power steering pump

Carl H

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX i-CTDi
My 2007 car with 106k on the clock has started making a slight whining noise when the engine is warm. It changes pitch with the engine revs, and is a lot louder when turning.

I suspect the power steering pump.

How much can I expect to pay to have a new one fitted?

Carl H said:
My 2007 car with 106k on the clock has started making a slight whining noise when the engine is warm. It changes pitch with the engine revs, and is a lot louder when turning.

I suspect the power steering pump.

How much can I expect to pay to have a new one fitted?
I don't know the prices but probably changing the pump bearing will solve the problem if you are sure the noise is from there.
Are you sure the fluid in the system is original Honda PSF-S ?

JapCar said:
I don't know the prices but probably changing the pump bearing will solve the problem if you are sure the noise is from there.
Where would I get a pump bearing?

Which would work out the cheapest?
Remove pump, replace bearing, re-fit pump, or
Remove pump, replace with new pump.

JapCar said:
Are you sure the fluid in the system is original Honda PSF-S ?
I can't be certain of that. It might have been changed as part of the major service it had, although I don't recall seeing that on the bill.

Here are pump parts (regardless it's in Russian), the bearing is 7.
http://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/honda&hmodtyp=3545&nplgrp=1&cmodnamepc=ACCORD&xcardr=4&dmodyr=2008&carea=KG&ctrsmtyp=5MT&xgrade=2.0%20SPORT%20SE&nplblk=E__1900
Bearings are very cheap on eBay.
The labor for both options is the same for remove/replace the pump, just difference is between pump price and bearing price+labor for replace it. Obviously replacing the bearing is cheaper if it's sure bearing is problem.
If the service been carried out at a garage , not at Honda dealer, it's possible the fluid is not genuine. I don't know why everybody claims the fluid must be genuine...

You will be scared off of the price, better get a repair kit and hope it will fix it, provided the squealing sound comes from that pump.

Carl H said:
Turned out the belt tensioner was completely shot.
What you mean, spring inside is broken or pulley bearing is worn?
If the noise was from tensioner, how to explain "It changes pitch with the engine revs, and is a lot louder when turning." from first post, I mean how it relates to turning?

Does somebody know where to buy seal kit (O rings) for power steering pump repair?
I called to Honda and few other car part shops but they don't sell seal kits, just pumps.
On eBay I didn't find as well.
Yesterday I asked the same question but don't remember where, now can't find the post...

JapCar said:
What you mean, spring inside is broken or pulley bearing is worn?
If the noise was from tensioner, how to explain "It changes pitch with the engine revs, and is a lot louder when turning." from first post, I mean how it relates to turning?
The bearing. The pulley had a lot of side to side movement.

With the new one fitted - bonnet up, engine at 2500rpm, the tensioner is steady. Turn the steering lock to lock, and the tensioner noticeably moves, presumably because there's load on the steering pump which is tightening the belt. This is how it related to turning.

A new tensioner and belt, and the noise has gone. :)