What's new

Power steering resivour

Dalerobert

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
Ther other day i was checking the all the levels on my car as ive not checked them for abit and i noticed the power steering was on the bottom marker so i did what it said and topped it up to the second marker when cold, i then started the car to see if it sounded abit better ie not squeaking which it did. when ive checked it today its back on the bottom marker again ive had a look under the car and there are no patches of fluid so that rules out a leak, does anybody have any ideas as to why it has dropped in level?? Many thanks

Its usually the power steering cooler pipe infront of the radiator that corrodes and leaks. There is a small chance that the fluid is sitting in the lower bumper tray, rather than dripping out onto the road, so first place I'd look is there.

Item 22

B__3361.jpg

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S1T01&block_02=B__3361&block_03=2653

Accord636 said:
Just a quick question if there was a leak wouldnt the resivour be empty after time?
Yes of course, but when it reaches a little lower than the bottom mark, you will suddenly notice the steering pump making a noise when you turn the wheel. Top up immediately !

Sounds like Andy has you on the right track.

When it happened to me, there was fluid on the floor and the leak was at a junction of a metal pipe and flexible pipe on the LHS of the engine bay.