What's new

Power Tail Gate (PTG) fault. Help please!

Joyful

Reaction score
Car
Mk8 2009 Tourer 2.2
I have had an intermittent fault on my tailgate on my 2006 Tourer for the last six months.

When it refuses to unlock I get the PTG code. The problem can be remedied by simply disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds. Then it works fine. Just have the added hassle of reprogramming the radio stations every time!

The fault usuall happens when something falls against the tailgate on the inside when driving or when I close it with something in the way. I guess it is some sort of pressure safety sensor.

Anyway the last week it has been tripping the PTG more frequently, even when there is nothing touching the tailgate.

Any ideas how this could be resolved. Is it possible to replace the sensor?

P.s I do have an emergency pull wire attached to the catch on the inside that I can crawl back to to open when I cant be bothered with the battery trick, but it does not reset the PTG so i still have to do the battery disconnect anyway.

P.s. I see there is an earlier thread and someone mentioned a garage in Gloucester and something about the tailgate motor needing to be rotated slightly. Can anyone clarify?

Common failure is also result of broken wires