What's new

Premium Sound System - Speaker Wiring

Kal

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Exec 2004
Just looking for a bit of help here...

I have the Premium Sound system installed in my Accord EX which has the Honda amplifier + 8 speakers.

I have an aftermarket unit installed which is working perfectly fine. I used an Autloeads cable which hooks into the 20 Pin Blue connector which is normally connected to the Honda Amp. The problem with this is that only the door speakers are being used, so the front tweaters and rear shelf speakers are redundant.

So I ***umed that the best way to get around this is to connect the aftermarket unit into cabling linked to the 20 Pin blue connecter which plugs directly into the back of the Honda head unit and links to the Honda Amp . I have all the pin outs and wiring diagrams so i'm faitly confident that i've tapped into the correct wires.

I've managed to get power working to my aftermarket unit from here, but i can't get any sound to the speakers. I've only connected the wiring to the 2 front doors speakers for the test.

I've plugged in an old unit into this new wiring and i get the same response, power, but no sound.

Any advise help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Kal

The h/u from stock is 4 channel, and the amp splits the feed into 8. Where are you tapping into it? The feed or output to the amp? Its not as simple as you may think. Reply with plenty more detail, i'll help best I can.

This is how i see the current setup (correct me if i'm wrong)...

Honda H/U OUTPUT >>> 20 Pin Blue connecter at the bottom >>> Power + (FR+ FL+ RR+ RL+) + (FR- FL- RR- RL-) >>>> 14 Pin Blue Connecter >>>> Honda AMP FEED

I've installed an Autoleads SOT cable (SOT-71 i think?) in between the Honda H/U and the 20 Pin Blue Connecter. This is so that i won't be tapping into the original honda cabling. So now i have...

Honda H/U OUTPUT >>>> Autoleads Cable >>>> 20 Pin Blue connecter >>> Then same as above

So from my Aftermarket h/u i have the ISO connecters for Power + Speakers tapped into the Autoleads cable

Honda H/U OUTPUT >>>> Autoleads Cable >>>> 20 Pin Blue Connecter >>>

Aftermarket HU ISO >>>> ===/ /

I've tapped the wires from the ISO into the Autolead cable so that they are connected to the following pins on the OUTPUT 20 Pin Blue connecter...

FR+ - Pin8 Red/BLUE
FR- - Pin18 Yellow

FL+ - Pin 7 Red
FL- - Pin 17 Red

RR+ Pin 5 Light Green
RR- Pin 15 Purple

RL+ Pin 6 Blue
RL- Pin 16 Pink

Cheers
Kal

At the moment I don't have access to the wiring schematics as my desktop mobo just packed in...damn dell!

Do you need stock hu?
what reasons are you using aftermarket hu?
Do you need to be able to switch between the two hu at will?

As you can see having two hu share the same line without some sort of switch can cause an issue, also I think last time I checked the amp gets its 12v on signal from the hu aswell.

It's not ideal setup what you are trying to achieve imo, are you looking to upgrade speakers and amp them aswell?

Points to consider, the amp receives a 4ch signal from hu, converts it to 8ch output at the right crossover high, mids, low.
The stock hu sends a rough 4v balanced signal to amp, so ideally you need to use the pre-outs from your hu, this isn't stopping it from working though, make sure your amp is turning on as remember its remote turn is from your stock hu.

Let me get my computer back up and i'll check the pinouts, etc and get back to you. A member has done this I believe, if you search you may find some more info

I dont need to use the stock hu, but just need it for the ac heating and clock display. The aftermarket hu is a double din with satnav mp3 etc.

Like u say I suspect the amp is getting a switch on signal from the stock hu

ok try connecting your 12v remote from double din to amp remote on, i think its green/white i cant remember for certain so check your wiring map for it or search i've posted the info somewhere here. Either disconnect the stock remote from system or make sure its off when testing. Let me know how you get on, we take it from their.

Its the smaller 14 pin plug you need to splice into, I still wouldn't do it running through the stock amp, you risk frying it but its upto you.
Yours seem more or less ok, so maybe problem is in your mute sot harness? Or your amp isnt switching on because of remote on not wired or worse you've damaged it.

Below is how you bypass or tap into the hu feed for reference.

FL + B1 red/blu
- B8 Yellow

FR + B4 blu
- B11 red

RL + B3 blu
- B10 pink

RR + B6 light grn
- B13 purple

B7- yel/green -remote on signal for amp. Will supply 12v signal only when stock hu is turned on iirc.

23052010178.jpg

Best most safest option would be to bypass the amp altogether or at least use your rca out signal into the amp, because as stated earlier amp isn't designed for high level input, try at your own risk....

Thanks for the info. I've just checked this yellow/green wire with a meter and yes it only gets 12v when you switch on the stock hu.

I'll be honest i'm not an expert when it comes this stuff, but could you explain what the differnce is in the output of the signal coming from the rca cabling over the iso speaker cable coming out of the aftermarket unit?

Thanks again

Speaker level input is one that you can hook straight into your speakers, a line level input is a base signal that the amp can boost and out at speaker level.

Unless an amp has the option to hook up highs, its only line level that you can feed eg rca outputs. The stock hu outputs a line level even though its over normal cabling and thats what the amp receives. So you should be using a line out converter OR rca to naked wire. You can cut one end off a male rca cable feed the plug into your pre amp outputs and use the cut off end to tap into the amp as you have.

You may be able to simplify all this with a device such similar to xcarlink that has an aux input , but I dont know much about that though.

Thanks for the advise, just got one more query on this.

When i had the aftermarket hu installed previously, it was bypassing the amp and the loom between the stock hu and amp.

The radio reception was ok until i was driving on a motorway route. Ive read on a forum that the "power antenna" cable coming from the aftermarket needs to be linked to the power cable for wimdow antennas. Ive looked at the wiring diagram and ***ume its the same yellow/green wire that activates the amp. Could this be right?

I don't think so, all that is a switched 12v feed and I don't think you want to feed into that.