What's new

Premium Sound "what to do"

hikeifulike

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 Honda Accord 2.4
Hey everyone
I have a 2004 2.4 Exec with a Sat nav unit, and would like to play mp3's and have a Handsfree system for my Android phone, as anyone done an upgrade and did it work properly, also, more importantly, what did they upgrade too?
Thanks for any feedback in advance.

There are several options but the most common is an xcarlink adapter.
This plugs into the cd changer port on the back of the premium audio system.
You can now plug an external source, i.e ipod or usb memory stick etc.
If you get the bluetooth version you can stream from your phone.

When you select aux on the front panel it will change over to external sound source.
Your steering wheel buttons also retain functionality too.
Great bit of kit and adds flexibility to the outdated accord audio system.
I have the ipod interface only and is pretty good but xcarlink offers the complete handsfree kit, external audio interface and bluetooth all in one.

See here for an install guide, it has been well covered here over the years.
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4903-another-xcarlink-install/

You can occasionally find them on ebay and on here second hand but brand new they are here
http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/

Grom audio offers a similar adaptor interface and is another alternative. Haven't personally used one so can comment.
http://gromaudio.co.uk/?gclid=CMOquZ-T-dACFS0z0wodSTgFmA

Hope it helps

I have used Grom, don't bother it's terrible and so is their company for after sales.

In the end I whipped out the factory nav unit stuck a standard premium unit and put a Yatour interface on it and have my Pure connected to the aux in for DAB, streaming and handsfree free.

I have a Grom. I find it excellent. retains full functionality of steering wheel controls and streams BT from my Android, plus I can use a USB stick in the port if I want a load of songs instead of the phone.

Wait till you have to deal with Grom for a problem (they are a bunch of fibbers). Yatour (a lot cheaper) plus others do the same thing, I also have my steering wheel controls. Grom was picking up noise too, the one or two I had. You pay a premium for Grom unit thinking you get a UK company with decent support, soon to realise it's the same sh*t as every other Chinese made interface so you might as well pay half the price for the same cr*p after service. Of course you are welcome to make your own minds up but if people are asking for experience I had a real headache with this company and I will tell anyone about it in detail if they want but in short two faulty units, lies, over priced, poor service and took me a month to get my money back, nearly took them to court. Oh and btw Grom UK is run by a parent workwear clothing company!

Thanks everyone, for the feedback.

I was reading up about Xcarlink and Grom, and wasn't sure either way, This will help.
We have two Honda Accords, my wife drives the 2009 with Sat Nav, and I recently acquired a 2004, and its in brilliant condition, a lot heavier than the 2.2, as it is a 2.4 petrol, but omg, its heavier on fuel, and power, its bloody scary in comparison to my wife's diesel, as a person that has always had bikes, Im a bit heavy with the petrol foot. lol

But yes, I want the handsfree functionality, then I am going to start researching about the fuel economy.

Thanks again.

The Pure DAB/Handsfree is good value for what you get but the handsfree needs a bit of improvement for me. You can use it on FM modulation until you get a aux in sorted out with helps but as with any FM modulation you have some minor drawbacks.

Sounds like you had a bad experience, Grom are a US company and should have decent support from there if the UK seller doesn't play ball.
I bought mine from a UK seller more or less the same price as the US site except you may have customs to pay.
Was it the BT3 unit you bought?

Bounder said:
Sounds like you had a bad experience, Grom are a US company and should have decent support from there if the UK seller doesn't play ball.
I bought mine from a UK seller more or less the same price as the US site except you may have customs to pay.
Was it the BT3 unit you bought?
I bought mine from Grom UK. When they didn't play ball I went to Grom US only to find incompetent scripted responses from there to. Didn't sound too 'US' to me........ They way I found that Grom UK are setup there is no comeback to Grom US. Grom UK>Carputer Shop>Mannocks Ltd that is the structure. I found this out as I was getting the smalls claims court papers ready.

It was a USB3 kit with BT add on as I wanted full functionality. Yes it was the correct kit & lead as I checked with them before purchase. Cost me nearly £180 for the whole lot thinking it would be the dogs danglies.