What's new

Pressure hose replacement on power steering pump

Bluerichard

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2 icd
Hi I have a 2.2 diesel 2005 Honda Accord and it’s developed a leak on the high pressure hose. I am trying to find a how to guide on replacing it, not sure if taking the wheel / arch cover will give me enough room to get the bottom bolt, have read you may have to drop the sub frame(?) to get access. Anyone done it and can give me some point? Been looking online and can’t find anything specific step by step? Thanks in advance

Dropping the subframe will give you the couple or three inches that'll give you better access to the power-steering rack. It's a pita but not as difficult or potentially dangerous as it sounds. Just undo the subframe bolts on the drivers side only, I used a piece of 2 x 4 as wedge between the underbody and the subframe to keep it from springing back upwards which should give you enough space to work with, it won't fall on your head.

Cheers - it’s a royal pita location that’s for sure!! Going to order the part now will give it a go once it’s here. Anything to watch out for?

Yeah it’s definitely the hose, cleaned it off went for a short drive and it’s weeping at the base where the tube goes into the metal clip at the bottom.

I used this youtube vid for reference at the time - see from aroud 2 - 6 minutes, the advice is sound. This is for removing the complete rack mind however I did purchase a 19mm split ring spanner and a set of shorties using his technique with a pry bar to get purchase on the hose nut to crack it loose then follow up with a 19mm shorty to undo.

Last edited:
Just remember that video is for a left hand drive car so steering rack and connections will appear different and like I mentioned in my first post you do not need a pole jack to support the engine, just undo subframe bolts on drivers side only and itll barely drop an inch or two.

Hi, did you buy a genuine one as no breakers seem to have a spare one available, Honda seem to think its funny to ask £300 and ebay have some ranging from £36 to £69 (non- genuine).
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi, did you buy a genuine one as no breakers seem to have a spare one available, Honda seem to think its funny to ask £300 and ebay have some ranging from £36 to £69 (non- genuine).
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Those after market hoses on fleabay seem to be ok, at least no comebacks have mentioned here.