What's new

Preventative maintenance

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord type s tourer
Hi guys not posted for a while, moved house so the car had take a back seat.
Anyway, I'm interested to find people's opinions.

My 03 accord type s estate currently had around 183 k miles on the click and running smoothly.
I do most of the basic servicing my self, oil change, filters and plugs.

I'm wondering though if there is any major items I should be considering at this milage?
Are head gaskets an issue on these engines? Timing chain?

I absolutely love this car and want to see it on the road for another 100 k + miles if I can so any advice would be appreciated! If you need any more info let me know.

Personally, I wouldn't fiddle too much with an old car... before you know it, you'll have replaced so many parts that you may as well have bought a new car!

Most major items will give some warning that they are wearing, so just be aware of any new noises, vibrations or increase in fuel consumption.

Yeah I guess your right, may just keep up with the oil changes and see how I get on.
It does use quite a lot of oil but I put that down to the milage.

Compliance bushes, drop links, clutch, exhaust, driveshaft boots, ball joints.

Timing chains more on the diesel unless the car has been hammered maybe, and head gaskets not really.

So possibly worthwhile changing one or two other things when the clutch goes, and maybe when the exhaust goes replace the whole thing including the flexi.

But otherwise I agree with Jon - do frequent oil changes, and the other routine stuff using OEM filters, but otherwise take it as it comes.

What are your views on the exhaust, mine had been repaired recently and still has a small leak so I've been thinking about a replacement but not sure which way to go.

Do I get one made for the car or get a standard Honda one? I heard the Honda prices were ridiculous, dont see any point spending more than I need to if I don't have to.

Hi Dan, my exhaust was blowing at the rear v section join and failed MOT last month.

The exhaust on the 2.4 is Honda only supplied part. You cannot buy off the shelf at the likes of Kwik -Fit.

Honda quoted £800 plus fitting!. So, I spoke with mechanic and he advised against repairs - welding tends to have short life.

I went Stainless steel with Longlife £400 Cat back full system and I'm very pleased with it. Notice slight improvement in mpg too - around 2-3 getting 33-34 now.

With regards to maintenance don't forget fuel filter that is situated in petrol tank - £20 part and advised every 75k.

VTEC engine is bombproof. Use good oil and periodic check on valve timing. I'm also keeping an eye on rust underneath which can be a problem on the 7th generation Accord. Check rear wheel arch, rear valence and bottom of doors. Front boot lid on the lip is another area.

Good luck with exhaust and let us know how you get on.

You could change the serpentine/aux belt if it hasn't been done and the water pump at the same time. There was a thread on it here somewhere...