What's new

Problem!

Yadash

Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately my accord's starting to give up a bit now, today we went out for a drive and heard a grinding/scratching noise coming from the back of the car, it still worked for a bit and we thought nothing of it, then later on the engine started to cut out whilst driving and the left indicator would flash very fast, this happened 5/6 times within an hour and so I was wandering whether anyone knows what the problem might be?
Thanks in advance guys., Yadash

I don't mean to come across as patronising, but are you sure it is the indicator flashing and not the immobiliser light?

If it is cutting out and it is actually the immobiliser light flashing then could it be the ignition barrel? I have read a few posts on here and elsewhere where they have been faulty

100% sure of that, it's most definately the left indicator, also, a couple of times the car refused to start and it seemed like it was about to cut out at idle and felt like it was running a bit lean?

Unfortunately my accord's starting to give up a bit now, today we went out for a drive and heard a grinding/scratching noise coming from the back of the car, it still worked for a bit and we thought nothing of it, then later on the engine started to cut out whilst driving and the left indicator would flash very fast, this happened 5/6 times within an hour and so I was wandering whether anyone knows what the problem might be?
This is very strange Yadash the grinding sound might be the rear pads on there limit or a stone in the disk shield.As for the flashing indicator does this happen when you put the indicators on ?
If so then one of you lamps could be blown as there in series so will flash quicker to let you no a lamp has blown.
As for the cutting out was there any fault lights on the dash when this happened.

Nope, the indicator comes on as the car cuts out, engine light is on, but it's been diagnosed as the EGR problem which was due to be fixed this week
The thing is, only after the noise, we've started having this problem

Nope, the indicator comes on as the car cuts out, engine light is on, but it's been diagnosed as the EGR problem which was due to be fixed this week
The thing is, only after the noise, we've started having this problem
At a guess then could this be an immobilizer problem sorry Yadash i cant be more help.But there are plenty of 6th gen owners hear that might have your answer :)

Thanks brett and colin, hopefully someone can provide a definitive answer though :(

Hey dude,

TBH the grinding noise could be anything really. Does it happen when the car is turning a certain way or at a certain speed? Pads? Suspension? Bearings? Without hearing it i can only guess so sorry.

With the EML light on i ***ume you've have the code read so you know that is definatly at fault, but have you done the EGR clean? Where there any other codes found when the ECU was read?

With regard to the car cutting out the EGR can cause these types of symptoms, but i'm not sure why the indicator would come on. That puzzles me. It could be a coincidence, but it could also be something built in so that when the car does cut out, the indicator comes on to let other road users know that you will pull to the side of the road, but again, that's only spoeculation on my side.

Sounds like an electrical gremlin to me if i'm honest. The mechanic wil be able to sort the problems for you, but unless your cars done over 200K miles i'd be suprised if it was anything serious.

I can't offer a definitive answer, but I reckon that this could be three separate problems, which may have coincidentally occured around the same time, but could be set off simultaneously by vehicle bumps and shocks ...

Grinding/scratching from rear - possibly a stone stuck in th disc shield, as suggested by Brett.

Engine cutting out - EGR valve issue, as mentioned by you.

Left indicator - faulty lamp or bad connection.

Good luck!

I always thought that if one of the indicator bulbs wasn't working/had blown, then the others would flash faster so you'd know, and i thought this happened as they were wired in series.

Not saying i'm right, but this is the only way i could justify it in my head :blush:

I had to double take too, but if you think about it they're in parallel, as the negative from each bulb earths on the car, it doesn't lead to the next indicator bulb. All the positives feed from the relay though presumably so I imagine the difference in load on the relay causes the faster flashing?

Well, we only just hit 90.000 miles yesterday, and the problems only started happening after the grinding/scratching noise, (it came from the rear end of the car if that's any help)
I tried to get the EGR cleaned when re-doing the timing belt but the mechanic couldn't really get it out because it was "positioned awkwardly", so we decided to leave it until sometime this week

I had to double take too, but if you think about it they're in parallel, as the negative from each bulb earths on the car, it doesn't lead to the next indicator bulb. All the positives feed from the relay though presumably so I imagine the difference in load on the relay causes the faster flashing?
Good explanation about earthing.

And - if they were in series - one lamp blowing would result in all lamps on that circuit not working (as there would be no intact electrical path),.. that's why they're in parallel.

Well, we only just hit 90.000 miles yesterday, and the problems only started happening after the grinding/scratching noise, (it came from the rear end of the car if that's any help)
I tried to get the EGR cleaned when re-doing the timing belt but the mechanic couldn't really get it out because it was "positioned awkwardly", so we decided to leave it until sometime this week
Hi Yadash... I think you might need a better mechanic?

I agree it seems odd that all problems seem to come on simultaneously. I don't think I can offer any more advice (it'd really be guessing), but I'm really interested in finding out what the problem turns out to be!

Hi Yadash... I think you might need a better mechanic?

I agree it seems odd that all problems seem to come on simultaneously. I don't think I can offer any more advice (it'd really be guessing), but I'm really interested in finding out what the problem turns out to be!
He's pretty good, but it was taking ages and I was waiting so I wanted to go back home :(
We went out in the car today and it was fine :ph34r:
not really sure what happened at all :/

check for ground connection between engine(battery) and body. Is it broken? engine cutout and strange instrument panel lights coming up may be because of it.

what about noise. its up to you mechanic... you can try to check for loose wheel (bearing problem) or rear brakes. there is nothing more to look at.

I think that Linas has hit the nail on the head really Yad mate.

At the rear of the car there really is nothing else to look at, and certaintly nothing that will cause the problems you have stated.

It just sounds like an electrical gremlin to me, and you just need to take the car to a mechanic who knows what they are looking at, or what to look for with the electrical problem.

Sorry we couldn't help more dude. :(

Thanks for the help guys, we're going to go and get it checked up tonight :D
But it's starting to become a death machine, it's already cut out three or four times on the motorway and you can't really start it up again and put it into gear like you could a manual because it's auto and the gearbox would die of confusion if you put it into D4 while you were coasting at 70 mph :unsure:

dude, the EGR is not a hard job!!, I did it myself on my driveway, bit awkward yes but it's all fairly logical, I'll post my DIY later when I have more time, if you were nearer I'd have a look at your car myself.
ad for the gremlins you can buy a bluetooth OB2 reader for £18.00, plug that in and do a diagnostic yourself.

have you checked the terminals in the Dizzy cap and the rotar arm?....when was the last time you had it serviced (properly) ? lots of things can be so simples to fix, my car has 131000 miles on the clock and still runs perfect, few people on here have met my car, proper maintenance says a lot!

Well the last service was about 6 months ago, if it's any help, the problems only started after we changed our timing belt

Well the last service was about 6 months ago, if it's any help, the problems only started after we changed our timing belt
I would agree with Linas; check the earth connections - battery to body, gearbox to body and rear light clusters to body. I have come across a number of threads on other forums where all manner of strange symptoms have been the result of poor earth connections.

IF the problem only arose after the best change is there any chance that the car wasn't put back together correctly?

Car's fixed now!
Faulty ignition module that kept losing the signal from the transponder chip in the key, new one put in and runs fine again
02 sensor also diagnosed, due to be changed this month too so the Accord's staying B) B)