What's new

Puddle in the spare wheel well

easypops

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi,
After noticing that there is some mould on the rear seatbelts(not the bit you can see), i went rooting around half heartedly looking for dampness. What i found was the spare tyre almost underwater! I tried to unscrew the retaining nut but it was rusted(i guess) solid, out with a set of grips and it moved a little before shearing off. No worries though as i was able to remove the spare tyre. There was close to 5" / 12cm of water in there.
I have read (and replied) on a similar thread, but started this as the other one covers other things as well. There is no way the water came up from underneath, so my question is. Where would/could it get in?
I have looked at the rear hatch seal and it seems to be in good order, i removed the back lights and the seals seem to be good too.
Next step for me is to strip out the back completely and pour dye over it, to see if i can locate the leak. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Oh and i was able to drain the puddle/pool by removing a rubber grommit in the wheel well(which i put back)

Thanks for reading

Martin

Sounds like you've pretty much covered all the obvious places for water to get in. If you have a suitable water based die you can use then I would give that a go. It sounds like the quickest and easiest solution to finding the leak, otherwise you could spend hours looking and getting nowhere.

Rear lights is a common place, where the water drains. Check in the boot, right behind the lights for a path for the water.

Cos what happens is the water goes to the spare wheel well, then when you brake hard, the water goes under the rear seats, so you might what to remove them, see what nasty you can see.

One thing that worked for was to dry the car out and then hose the boot area down. I then inspected everything again and worked out where the water was coming from.

Check all seals and just make sure they are not perished etc.

Good luck dude and let us know how you get on?

Good luck dude and let us know how you get on?

Thanks for the replies guys, I will for sure keep you posted on any progress, can't get a chance to look until Saturday . I need to order a couple of wee bits n bobs anyway so will probably get a couple of rear light seals while I'm there. And yes the rear seats etc will be coming out to inspect/ dry/ remove mould.

Cheers
Martin

Thanks for the replies guys, I will for sure keep you posted on any progress, can't get a chance to look until Saturday . I need to order a couple of wee bits n bobs anyway so will probably get a couple of rear light seals while I'm there. And yes the rear seats etc will be coming out to inspect/ dry/ remove mould.

Cheers
Martin

This seems to be an issue with the 6th gen accords. When I had decided to buy one I went and looked at at least 20 before settling on my one. Almost all had water in the wheel well and at first I was staying clear of them because of this issue. My own has exactly the same problem and it has destroyed the spare Tyre. I bought the car at just under 10 years old and the spare Tyre had never been used nor had the tools above it but it was in about 2 inches of water. When I took it out to use it one day the whole part what was face down was White. I was afraid to drive on it just in case. the reason I am adding to this is because I have never been able t find the cause of the water. the boot is never wet. i have no signs of mold anywhere in the car. I have noticed condensation on the boot lid which I ***ume to be a byproduct of the water but again no idea and all suggestions on all threads never seem to apply to the issue I have. Hopefully you find the issue and share.

Andy

Just typed a 20min reply only to delete it by accident. Short version
Red arrow = water first spotted here
Blue arrows=Path of water
Leak= rear window washer gasket

Solution i hope= Silicon(lots of)

bootstripped.jpg