What's new

Pulled for hids

Mate I drive a 8th gen as a taxi & if a headlight goes mid shift forget it the bulbs are near on impossible to change without taking the bumper off!

II thought though on the Accord they used exactly the same headlight ***embly for the halogen bulbs and the Xenon bulbs as the mounting points for the Xenon ballast exists on the standard halogen headlight units. So what would be the difference in this case between retro fitting the Honda factory Xenons into the headlight and fitting after market HID's.

Couldn't you argue the car came fitted with factory Xenons and the ballast have since packed up and you have simply replaced them with an after market set?

The headlamp compoents are the same, except for the projector lens. Within the headlamp itself the projector lens is different and the holder for the bulb connector (DS2) is different. The lens is different as the light no longer comes from a point source, but an arc source. All other components within the ***embly are the same (excluding the ballasts, which are outside, etc)

FWIW, the regulation of this is controlled by an European law, who prohibits the use of headlamps that emit above 2,000 lumens (be it HID or Halogen) without the use of self-levelling and washers with the correct alignment. Note it doesn't say that projectors have to be used, but this is the most effective for HIDs.

I drive around the country at night and I seem to notice illegal HIDS quite a bit and yes they blind, BUT I don't flash the driver. Why? Because it will achieve nothing and only blind both of us in the situation.... so not being flashed isn't necessarily becuase you're not blinding people.

So the question I would ask is if the lights are doing what they are supposed to do in all conditions why do you want to go to all the trouble of fitting HIDs which in the end could cost you a lot more MOT failure, fines, costs to replace after either of these two???
Or is it just because they look good when they are on ??? Which I would say how chavy is that.

Personally it's because I'm a modder at heart, and that means I want the best I can, regardless of what it may or may not add. Changing your wheels and suspension very often reduces the cars handling and road-holding, but people do it anyway, same with bodykits etc. I would never go for 6000K+ HIDs as I actually hate the blue look on headlights.

Personally it's because I'm a modder at heart, and that means I want the best I can, regardless of what it may or may not add. Changing your wheels and suspension very often reduces the cars handling and road-holding, but people do it anyway, same with bodykits etc. I would never go for 6000K+ HIDs as I actually hate the blue look on headlights.

Where as I like to keep things as they are dont get me wrong some of the modded cars look the business but I just prefer the beauty of the beast (So to put it).

Mate I drive a 8th gen as a taxi & if a headlight goes mid shift forget it the bulbs are near on impossible to change without taking the bumper off!

Saleem
I drive a HGV on night shifts and understand that you are not gonna change the bulb mid shift but I see a lot and I mean a lot of hire vehicles with only one headlight working have they all blown mid shift ??????????

I THINK NOT

To be perfectly honest I feel the Police take a soft approach to this maybe they dont want the paperwork. Now if I was a Police officer my book would be full I`d stop every one and give them a producer to ensure they got it fixed asap...

If i had a headlight bulb blow on my wagon and got stopped by VOSA it would be a fixed fine on the spot and points towards my company regarding vehicle states etc.

These are public service vehicles carrying passengers why should they be any different to me.???

A simple enough answer to it if its broken then FIX IT. dont break it deliberately.

Guys let stay on topic here.
Nah HIDs were getting boring. If the Police have pulled him for them then they obviously have been informed about the MOT changes and were starting to enforce the law. Or maybe they just wanted to look at the beauty that is the Honda Accord.!!!

Double check with who you bought them from to ensure they are Euro tested
If they are not self-leveling, with correct alignment (i.e. correct lenses) and headlight washers to boot - then they are not permitted, and will not be Euro test.