What's new

Question on brakes

Chriseybaby

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 i-Vtec Ex
I have just changed the front brakes on my tourer and all works fine, but I have noticed something a little odd. if I push the brake pedal it goes down a little way until they bite, then if I take my foot off and press it again the biting point is right at the top of the pedal.

Im not sure if was like this before the change or if its a normal thing for brakes to do, could someone clarify for me? I don't want to change the brake fluid if I don't have to.

I have just changed the front brakes on my tourer and all works fine, but I have noticed something a little odd. if I push the brake pedal it goes down a little way until they bite, then if I take my foot off and press it again the biting point is right at the top of the pedal.

Im not sure if was like this before the change or if its a normal thing for brakes to do, could someone clarify for me? I don't want to change the brake fluid if I don't have to.

You could have air in the brake pipes. When we change our brake pads we always change the brake fluid as well as the pads and then bleed the system of air. I'm sure others will be along soon to share their views.

as Michelle said there might be air in the system.
Also new pads will take a wile to bed in.

Chris this can be normal it was probably just the pistons and calipers setteling back into their normal position. When you fit new pads and you push the pistons in to fit the new pads you displace the brake fluid effectivley pushing it along the pipes it sometimes can overflow out of the resivour. Pumping the pedal a few times puts everything back to where it should be inc the fluid. As long as it doesn't keep doing what you described you should be ok. IMHO it's not necessary to renew the fluid and bleed the brakes just for fitting new pads.

IMHO it's not necessary to renew the fluid and bleed the brakes just for fitting new pads.

Sorry my fault , I was just saying what we do, I was totally unclear lol. We only need to change our pads on vehicles every couple of years because we don't cover lots of miles, so the fluid is changed at the same time as moisture can build up in the fluid so it is recommened you change brake fluid every couple of years (I'm sure you all know that though :)

----------------------------

If you did this with the engine off it's normal, a push or two uses up the servo ***ist.

If you did this with the engine off it's normal, a push or two uses up the servo ***ist.

Yup exactly normal. Nothing to worry about. Air in the system would mean a soft spongy pedal.

Ok thanks for all your views, I was told at the last service that the brake fluid could do with changing, but since I have some other issues to deal with I will leave it for now