What's new

Quick Question - Alarm & Dog!

Swallow

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord mk7 ctdi ex
Hi All - I can't find the answer to this anywhere...

Accord Tourer 2007 Diesel. How can I lock the car but WITHOUT the alarm being set - I need to do this, when popping into a petrol station for instance with my dog still in the car, sometimes with a window open.

On my last car (not Honda) I could simply lock the car by using the key in the doorlock and the alarm would not be activated.

I can't seem to replicate this with the Accord and the dog will set the alarm off the moment I've gone in to pay for fuel etc.. slightly driving me (and the dog) mad...

Thanks in advance, Tom

In the long run, the best thing to do is unplug the 4-pin plug on the siren, or remove it altogether. The siren doesn't do much anyway, it's not part of the car immoboliser, and if you leave something out on display someone will smash the window to get to it, whether your siren is working or not.

You can get to the siren from the boot after removing the off-side (RHS) trim, and wear some ear defenders because it might protest when you pull the plug.

Otherwise it's a bit of a faff. You have to lock the car using the button in the armrest on the driver's door. I can't remember if you can do this and then shut the door, and I can't test it on my car because I've unplugged the siren.

After locking the doors with the button in the armrest, either shut the door, or shut the door and hold the handle out as you shut it, or IIRC you actually have to leave a passenger door open then lock the doors with the driver's door shut, and leave via the open passenger door and shut that.

Let us know which it is ;)

Thing that comes to mind with me is, do you really need to lock the car with the dog inside? Is the dog not a deterrent enough? I don't know anything about the Accord car alarms but I'm wondering if you locked it by turning the key in the door lock instead of using the remote maybe that would work?

Alans27 said:
I'm wondering if you locked it by turning the key in the door lock instead of using the remote maybe that would work?
sadly the alarm in all 7th gens is a pain in the neck. It doesn't make any difference whether you lock the car using the remote or using the key in the door, the result is the same. And if you then try to unlock the car using the key in the door, the siren goes off when you open the door. So if the battery in the fob has gone flat, you can lock the car with the key in the door, but the alarm sets, and when you use the key in the lock and open the door, the alarm goes off. Great design by Honda.

Ha ha genius! Be a left over from the Rover Honda days that will.

Have you tried the following procedure (mentioned in the manual as well) to deactivate the internal sensors but still locks the car:

- Open driver's side door
- Push in the locking pin
- Close the door

Works for me and I can leave my windows open in the summer time.

that's the same as pressing the button in the armrest
#2 "You have to lock the car using the button in the armrest on the driver's door. I can't remember if you can do this and then shut the door, and I can't test it on my car because I've unplugged the siren"

as I say, I can't test it on my car because I've pulled the plug on the siren (because the siren battery was pulling a drain on the car battery), but IIRC there is no simple way round the other issue which is the flat battery in the key-fob, no simple way to stop the siren going off when you use the key in the door to unlock.