What's new

Quite pleased :)

Alans27

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.0 se
Because I've had my accord in the garage this week and I asked them to change the fuel filter and also do a full pre mot check. It's not actually due a mot until January but I'm going on holiday in it next month and seen as I've not had this car long I thought I'd get it properly checked out before going away.

Well it's a good job I did because the off side rear calliper is sticking good style which ain't good. But apart from that the garage couldn't find fault with it. I'm quite happy with that, I mean I expected to be needing a few suspension bits perhaps and maybe some welding underneath. It only cost me £450 after all. But nope, all is sweet,

So it's back in next Friday for a new calliper and also a pair of rear discs and set of pads. All parts will be
Mintex.

Tough old motor the Accord eh??

They're hard to kill. And at such good prices for decent cars it's hard to see why people pass them up.

Before I got mine in October it'd barely done 1k miles/year for a couple of years. Since I bought it I've done around 8k. I was a little unsure it would take to such abuse after not really being used for so long. Given it a darn good service and when time and money allow it'll be off to Honda for some new ATF. Brakes need doing as they squeal like a gooden (just need a good spit and polish mostly) but they still stop it dead when needed.

I'm just waiting for them to start showing up in Practical Classics :p

Rusty pipes are the main issue I had - brake/fuel/aircon - otherwise solid as a rock over 10 years / 145k miles.

MedicalFlyer said:
They're hard to kill. And at such good prices for decent cars it's hard to see why people pass them up.
Before I got mine in October it'd barely done 1k miles/year for a couple of years. Since I bought it I've done around 8k. I was a little unsure it would take to such abuse after not really being used for so long. Given it a darn good service and when time and money allow it'll be off to Honda for some new ATF. Brakes need doing as they squeal like a gooden (just need a good spit and polish mostly) but they still stop it dead when needed.
I'm just waiting for them to start showing up in Practical Classics :p
Cliffordski said:
Arent they just! I think it's probably a fuel economy thing the reason why they get passed up. People think a 2.0 Accord will be thirsty and they're right because they are lol. But they are nice cars that are built like a tank.

Rusty pipes are the main issue I had - brake/fuel/aircon - otherwise solid as a rock over 10 years / 145k miles.
Oh yeah I know, already had the brake pipes done. That was a lovely surprise in the first week I got it! The pipes were badly corroded, leaking and about to burst. I txt the last owner and told him he was lucky he never had an accident in it.
How does yours run at 145k?

Sorry medical flyer I did reply in the last post but it somehow never posted it! Yes they are hard to kill aren't they! I think they get passed up because people think they will be thirsty. They're right they are thirsty an all lol. But they're great solid cars all the same.

Sold it a while back but it ran fine - no EGR etc. issues. Handled great round corners too - a lot better than my 7th gen.

Wow really, I find mine ok on corners. No better or worse than any other car. I guess I've not really pushed it. Was yours a type R?

I had a 2.0 Executive for 7 years. Had it regularly serviced, and literally nothing ever went wrong with it. It had 147k on the clock when I eventually parted with it, and it always started first time and ran as sweet as a nut.

In some ways it was a better car than the 2.2 diesel 7th gen that I replaced it with.

Alans27 said:
Sorry medical flyer I did reply in the last post but it somehow never posted it! Yes they are hard to kill aren't they! I think they get passed up because people think they will be thirsty. They're right they are thirsty an all lol. But they're great solid cars all the same.

Alans27 said:
Wow really, I find mine ok on corners. No better or worse than any other car. I guess I've not really pushed it. Was yours a type R?
Funnily enough I don't find the fuel usage too bad and my previous car was a 2002 2.0 DTI Astra Estate that got 50mpg (65mpg on a real long run) compared to the 30mpg I get in the Accord on the same journeys. Doesn't seem to vary much even when I get bored occasionally and give it the beans around the country roads. I can't stand little 1 litre cars or the high boost 1.4's they try and fit to bigger vehicles these days. They work right up until you get on the motorway or hit a hill.

As for cornering it really comes down to the tyres on the Accords. Mine came with a mixed bag of BCT and Sun-Grip (or something nasty along those lines) and they were dreadful. I've got Dunlops all round now and when you see the reduce speed for bend signs it's now more of a challenge than a warning :p. Any half decent rubber can make a difference, I had Falkens on the Astra and they were very good too.

Cornering is spot on, I used to have an Astra Coupe - fully polybushed, hard shocks, hard springs, whiteline rear anti roll bar, fat expensive tyres and my standard 17 year old Accord isn't far off.