What's new

Radical question from a bored BMW owner

Kinversand

Members
Reaction score
Car
Rover 600
Hi All,

I've had nothing but BMWs since the mid 90s, but it's time for a change as all the ones I like are now at least 25 years old. As a teenager, I had a Triumph Acclaim (Honda Ballade), and my other car is a Rover 600 (Honda Accord), but I'm not a lover of FWD. I'm also not that well genned-up on modern Hondas: for example, what parts are interchangeable between different models etc.

So here's an off the wall question - has anyone done a RWD conversion on a 5th Gen Accord ?... I'm not concerned so much with the engine an gearbox as with the diff arrangement, rear sub-frame, driveshafts, hub ***emblies and suspension. ...And if you were going to do such a thing, which models would you get the parts from?

Answers and observations welcome.

Cheers,

David.

Surely the easiest way to do that is to use the whole subframe ***embly from something like an e36, or an e30 depending on how boxing out for mounting structurally would work best.

Then you probably want an M50 motor, e39 530d ZF box, and a big turbo.

Nobody would suspect that.

Probably better to take a few grand and buy a Honda legend.
4wd, 300+hp, luxury.

OOH!... hadn't thought about a Legend... interesting, thanks.

On the subject of RWD conversions, I know that people in the states have done them on Civics & CRXs using diffs and other parts from CRVs.

4wd conversions I'd ***ume.
They did a few 4wd variants. Civic shuttles, CRVs etc.
To have one and run it as an RWD would grenade the diff.

Discussions pop up here and there around the interwebs about exotic AWD versions of Accords. I can't find any real data on this. :unsure:

I believe it was an option on the Acura TL in the US.

Honda Japan has always built an awd drive version of most cars for Northern and extreme weathers areas in Japan, but they're always automatics, does anyone know if the CL8 shares transfer boxes with say a manual CR-V so that they could converted??

Thanks for all your help guys. As Mr. Honda mentioned earlier, people are using the CR-V diff. I suppose the next questions are a). does the rear subframe of a CD Accord unbolt, or is it welded?... and b). Has anyone got any side-on photographs of the wheelarch area and suspension minus the wheel ? :D..

Regarding Goodluckmonkey's suggestion about using a Legend instead, I did a little gentle research into the prospect, and they're front wheel drive too, so my question about the CD7 Accord remains, although the suggestion of dropping in a subframe from a different vehicle is a good one. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Dave.

I don't really know Accord models very well before the 7th gen

If it's any help, to see if there is a subframe in the back of the Rover 600, I looked up what I think is an equivalent to the Rover 600, an Accord 1996 2.0i , and got these drawings

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_block_selection_C30.php?mod_01=5914

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SN701&block_02=B__4800&block_03=5914&block_05=hcr

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SN701&block_02=B__2900&block_03=5914&block_05=hcr

4th gen accord 5th gen accord Rover 600 are the same underneath.

4th gen accords had the 4ws version. This provides the important extra room in the centre tunnel for a propshaft.

Ive put a skyline engine in a Mx5 which which didnt fit to start with. But was at least rwd to start with.

I also worked with trials cars, (off road caterham looking things) that use a en4 civic engine 90 rotated, one driveshaft hole capped and welded the other is welded to a suzuki sj rear prop and diff.

So quickly you can see that its not a mad idea at all. Remember a rare creation like that automatically has a higher value that to the right person could be sold. So its not necessarily a financial money pit either.

I think its actually possible to put a s2000 running gear in a 4ws 4th gen.

My suggestion would be maybe looking at a Nissan rwd like a 200sx or 300zx and work from there.

Rwd Accord will be a lot of work and you'd have to love it as I think you'll struggle to get your money back.

Other option is a Honda S2000 which is already a rwd

@93 Accord RE 4th gen 4WS... Is that 4 wheel steer?

TypeR said:
My suggestion would be maybe looking at a Nissan rwd like a 200sx or 300zx and work from there.
Now it's interesting that you should mention the Nissan 200SX, as I'd come to the conclusion that it would be worth looking at putting a complete rear subframe from one under the back end of a 5th Gen Accord. However, resale value isn't a huge issue as these cars are cheap now anyway - there's one come up on e-bay with a blown head gasket with a 99p starting price.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my spec B, but my old S14 200SX (also with complimentary LSD) would've destroyed it in a drag race (unless it was wet, or even damp)

Both great cars to drive though, although I'd imagine a clean tidy S14 that isn't sh@gged out is a bit of a unicorn these days.

Goodluckmonkey said:
Don't get me wrong, I loved my spec B, but my old S14 200SX (also with complimentary LSD) would've destroyed it in a drag race (unless it was wet, or even damp)

Both great cars to drive though, although I'd imagine a clean tidy S14 that isn't sh@gged out is a bit of a unicorn these days.

Cant see much of difference between these on paper at least? 304Nm (SpecB) Vs 275 (S15 Spec R)? both with 247hp, then again i never drove a Nissan so... with a turbo you would expect faster 0-60 with a S15.

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=27291

My S14 only made 250-odd hp with a couple of mods, but was nearly 300kg lighter than the subaru and without the drivetrain losses of the AWD.

More importantly, the Nissan would make boost 1000rpm before the Subaru comes up on the cams.

The little coupe had a lot lower profile than the wagon too.
It would got the speed limiter at an indicated 155 really hard, like someone had thrown out an anchor. The legacy had a faster top speed (managed 164 on GPS!!!) but would get trounced by it from almost any speed.

Peak hp and torque numbers don't really mean much in the real world. There are so many variables at work.

That was exhaust, filter, a loooong stretch of tarmac, and some abuse in 5th before I changed up.

Still had loads of revs left, just not the power to pull them.

They just seem to be engineered to go fast up top.

A 3rd gen GT took the world record for <2000cc production estates at 168mph.
Think it still stands today.

http://subaruidiots.com/legacy-world-speed-records/