What's new

radio reception issue

emkay

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Jazz
Hi all,

My 57 ctdi-ex is a peach, but the radio reception can be quite choppy. Can get all the stations but can get quite a bit of hiss in the background. Definitely worse compared to my Honda Jazz, but then again that had an external aerial poking out of the roof. Cant find any aerial on this car! I listen mainly to cds, but i also have a pure highway dab transmitter which works through fm frequencies and i keep getting interference on almost all fm frequencies. Anything i can do? Can you upgrade/boost the aerial? Talking of which, where is the aerial?! I suppose i could get an xcarlink and run the dab through that but id prefer not to if i can avoid it...any help appreciated

James

Have it always been like this since you owned the car? also does it have a HID kit installed?

Ariel for the Tourer is in the rear side windows - no they are not heaters. Not sure abotu the saloons though.

Ariel for the Tourer is in the rear side windows - no they are not heaters. Not sure abotu the saloons though.

The aerial on the saloon is at the top of the rear screen (first two bars i think) again not the demister strips.
Reception not to great on mine either. I dont think a lot can be done about it to be honest. i suspect the internal amp on the headunit is not the greatest.
I had the same problem on a Alfa romeo 156 i owned and it was cured with a new headunit. Not really an option on the accord if you want to keep the dash OEM.

Have it always been like this since you owned the car? also does it have a HID kit installed?

been like it since ive owned the car...im not saying its awful, but i was spoiled with crystal clear reception on my old car and kind of ***umed id get the same with this. No HID kit btw...

Yep on a saloon its the top 2 strips and my reception is fine.
It must be the SW ;)

Guys iv also heard in the past if you have your rear window heater on this can effect the signal.

Yep on a saloon its the top 2 strips and my reception is fine.
It must be the SW ;)

I hope that doesn't mean going back to honda...my wallets running near empty as it is! Any independant honda experts in s/e london/kent/essex?

thanks James,
I have been meaning to post same question for a few months now.

In my case, I think that is has been getting worse. Commercial stations - Capital, Heart - it is so bad
that it keeps jumping from one station to another...Radio 4 is OK though.

I have considered taking the head unit out and giving the connectors a spray of contact grease !
I do have a USB xcarlink so i tend to listen to the R4 during the morning and evening commute
for the news and discussion - for music, it's over to the USB or SD card.

charlie

thanks James,
I have been meaning to post same question for a few months now.

In my case, I think that is has been getting worse. Commercial stations - Capital, Heart - it is so bad
that it keeps jumping from one station to another...Radio 4 is OK though.

I have considered taking the head unit out and giving the connectors a spray of contact grease !
I do have a USB xcarlink so i tend to listen to the R4 during the morning and evening commute
for the news and discussion - for music, it's over to the USB or SD card.

charlie

Hiya all, my '56 CDTi tourer also has appalling reception (I know that my area has good signals, the last car I had even had a 1980's electric pop-up aerial, and reception was not an issue, unless it froze...), and I'm convinced that it's to do with the aerial being in the back window. I wonder if the fact it's set in a plane (i.e. on the flat of the window) means that the strength of the reception is determined by the direction in which the car is facing. If this does have any truth to it, then a window aerial in both the side and rear would help.
To be honest, when I bought the car I remember finding a link (maybe Honest John or something like that) that listed all the recalls for any given model, and one of those talked about a recall back to Honda for the radio reception, blaming the actual radio software. My memory is hazy, but I think it referred to the 'AF' function or similar (there are one or two others, and I'm no expert). I'll have a look for the link and post it, if I can.
If there is any other information available, I would like to get back to my radio...
Cheers

I had the same problem, bad reception, getting worse when you switch on the heater. This is due to bad connection to the noise suppressor for the aerial. The way to fix it is to take out the boot lining in the left side of the boot, the cable for the aerial runs there and you'll see the noise suppressor mounted to the body of the car. Check the connections (in my case a little bit of yanking did the job).

Hi,

I have tried getting the boot lining out to find the suppressor to see if that fixes my problem when the screen heater is on, couldn't find it???

Could someone give me a bit more indication to its position, or maybe a photo of what it looks like?

Many thanks.

Hi Pepster,

Thanks for the reply, mine is the saloon though so will have to have a look to see if it the same on mine, I was referring to kpanchev post regarding the suppressor in the boot, but I am not 100% certain what I am looking for, and its position.

Thansk for the advice though, I will certainly check it, as it is annoying to loose the radio everytime I put the screen heater on!

Thanks Rob.

Lastly check the glass and see there is no break in the lines , if they are then there is nothing you can do to fix it easily.

Try silver conductive paint as used to repair keyboards following coke/beer spills, perhaps with an overcoat with of varnish for protection.

I had the same problem, bad reception, getting worse when you switch on the heater. This is due to bad connection to the noise suppressor for the aerial. The way to fix it is to take out the boot lining in the left side of the boot, the cable for the aerial runs there and you'll see the noise suppressor mounted to the body of the car. Check the connections (in my case a little bit of yanking did the job).

Has anyone ever found this, I have been unable to locate it, and when I asked my local Honda dealer where it was they told me they wernt aware of a suppressor or connector for the aerial in the boot lining?

Useless!

The aerial on the saloon is at the top of the rear screen (first two bars i think) again not the demister strips.
I have been enlightened! My radio is Fine on most channels but I can get some hisses on classic fm. ( might be my wife though) I also think the sound is really good hence I not ripped it out and but my old CD player and sub.

Is no one able to ***ist in finding this suppressor and sorting out my awful radio reception when the rear screen is on?

Please............... :lol:

HAHA, Just seen when you asked for help, Nothing like a promt reply. 6 Months and still waiting. What is the problem. :)

Hi Robert,

I have the common problem on the accord where by when I turn the heated rear screen on in the morning I may as well turn the radio off as it just turns to hiss.

Tried to find the suppressor that kpanchev mentioned to no avail, tried Pm him but no response, and went to my local Honda garage who didn't know what I was talking about but offered to book it in to look at it...... Yes I bet!

So in need of help to locate this unit so I can check the connections?

Thanks.

I have the same problem as you but I get constant interference

Apparently the connector/suppressor is behind the trim covering the nearside rear c pillar on the right hand side of the window with the aerial in. Hope that makes sense.

I had a go at getting the trim off but it was so tight I was worried I was going to snap the trim in half so I left it alone. Hope you have better luck than I did.

If you have a go let's know how you get on

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, but the aeriel in the tourer is in a different place than the saloon, so I ***ume the suppressor will also be located in a different place, but I will check? thanks

Well Rob,

I found this link which someone else has the same problem. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091221023022AAF9pXx

the top answer is ''Does your car have an integral aerial in the rear screen - some Hondas do.

If so there is a shortt there somewhere and the signal goes to earth when the demister is switched on.''

so it only helps a little.

this link they discuss where to find the antenna amplifier in the car.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=400495

And there is this advice too.

http://www.hondacarforum.com/honda-technical/30795-why-do-i-hear-static-my-stereo-when-rear-defrost-when-i-turn-off-there-isnt.html

some even think it could be due to a after market tint on the rear screen

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=160562

I think they could be right though about a small crack in the heated screen element which could cause the problem and a tint if you had that on the rear screen. but it seems to be very common issue and not easy to fix. you could install an after market Ariel and wire it in, would fix the problem and probably give you better reception.

I will start a new thread for you as your probably not the only one who has this problem.

hope it helps a little

Rob

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, but the aeriel in the tourer is in a different place than the saloon, so I ***ume the suppressor will also be located in a different place, but I will check? thanks

What a plum. Didn`t notice you were talking about the saloon. I asked this same question on another forum and just ***umed we were talkng Tourer here.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for starting the new post, and the links. Will try to look for it. Will see if anyone comes up with anything in the new post.