What's new

RAIN SENSORS?

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
ive never really had fully operational rain sensors in my ctdi due to the fact that the person who replaced my screen before i bought it bodged it back on with a bit of string :eek: so to stop it rattling and swinging about as it wasnt secure i removed the sensor from the window and left it in the glove box.

today i had a new screen fitted thanks to the hale storm we had and the sensor was fitted correctly onto the new screen so i thought it would work again...... silly me!

i put it on auto and the wipers worked as if the sensor wasnt fitted still wiping the window at the set speed on the stalk. should it not work only when its raining? :unsure:

It sounds like the sensor isn't working. It should only wipe when there's material on the screen - rain, snow, bird droppings :)

As Jason said it should only work when its raining.There was a thread hear posted by a member with the same problem ill try and find it.

Matt try disconnecting your battery to reset the sensor have a look hear.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10126-rain-sensor-needs-reset/

i asked the guys at autoglass if they could fit a genuine screen but got told the insurance wouldnt pay for the Honda stamp so they used the same screens without the logo on.... they also said that the sensor may need recalibarating as its been removed and left in the glove box..... is this true?

cheers Brett much appreciated

The actual screen could make a difference. My understanding is that the Honda system uses IR to detect water droplets on the screen over a certain area. It does this by reflecting a IR pulse at a 45 degree angle if the beam pulse reflects back then then screen is ***umed clear and no wipe performed. If theres material on the screen the beam is diffused and a wipe is then performed.

So if the IR pulse is not being detected then a wipe be performed. If the relevent area of the glass isn't coated with a material that supports this reflection then you'll always wipe.

Not sure how this could be troubleshooted - I'd imagine something like the HDS would have a troubleshooting facility

ive also just noticed that the black plastic trim that runs the length on the roof and down the side of the screen is loose along the roof line and if i look behind it at the top of the screen i can see the clips which im sure i couldnt do before....

looks like ill be ringing autoglass on monday....

Ah ok - if the sensor doesn't sit correctly against the glass then there isn't a hope of it working correctly. Check the mounting is correct and then reset it!

sorry i think i didnt put that clear enough....

the sensor is a tight fit but isnt working as it should as it runs on intermittant instead when it senses rain....

the trim i mean thats loose is the one on the exterior of the car that runs from the back window along the roof and down the side of the front window each side. its loose in the middle and doesnt seem flush around the new screen.

Well then the external trim is a fitting problem. Certainly right to go back.

Re the sensor - did you try resetting it via the pulling the power?

the sensor is a tight fit but isnt working as it should as it runs on intermittant instead when it senses rain....

the trim i mean thats loose is the one on the exterior of the car that runs from the back window along the roof and down the side of the front window each side. its loose in the middle and doesnt seem flush around the new screen.
Matt have you tried altering the settings on the wiper arm on the steering wheel.There are about 6 different settings to play with.

no ive not tried anything yet as ive not long been back and havnt had chance yet. once the kids are in bed ill give it a go and report back.

sorted ive just removed the negative off the battery for 5 mins and it seems to have solved the problem as the sensor now works..... :D

ill still be ringing autoglass on monday to sort the trim along the roof out though as it doesnt fit flush and is loose in areas :( why cant people just do their job right? all it takes is a bit of care and attention....

sorted ive just removed the negative off the battery for 5 mins and it seems to have solved the problem as the sensor now works..... :D

ill still be ringing autoglass on monday to sort the trim along the roof out though as it doesnt fit flush and is loose in areas :( why cant people just do their job right? all it takes is a bit of care and attention....
;) There you go Matt another happy member :)PS i might have to give myself a rep point for that if i could :lol:

It's the box on the bottom right with a + and -
Click on the + and a number 1 will show job done :lol:

You're lucky it went back in ok. I had a 3rd party windscreen company (Ashford Windscreens) replace my windscreen and put the blade down each side and cut nearly all of the clips on both sides. He then tried to cover the damage up with mastick. Needless to say he had to pay for the replacement clips and trims at a cost of over £200. The amusing part was he said insurance would cover all the expense, the because he wasn't the insurance companies authorised repairers they would only pay about £175. The remainder was about £208 and the damage was about £206.58. I sent him a cheque for £1.42 :lol: