What's new

Random gearbox oil question.

luvmyaccord

6th & Type R Mod
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type R
Hey dudes.

Random one tonight. Just wondering what the service intervals are for the 7th gens auto gearbox.

I had the auto gearbox oil changed when I bought the car 30k ish miles ago. Is it time to change it again? I've had a search but couldn't find anything.

Cheers dudes,

Si.

Not wanting to sound rude, but have you checked the manual?

If not I can always have a look in mine tomorrow for you to see if it says anything.

On a car with 3 pedals, 30k would be a very short interval, not sure what the crack is with autos as my wife doesn't like them, so we always have manual cars as we occasionally swap.

I don't have the manual as I accidentally threw it away whilst clearing my garage out :( not my best move ever if I'm honest lol.

Can one drain banana skins with the auto gearbox sump ?

Honestly, from experience with other marques, any capture of contaminants is dealt with by replacing the oil twice in relatively quick succession, both engines and gearboxes. Don't bother with 'flushing' fluids, especially with the blurb claimed for diesel improvements in the colour of the stuff that drains into the pan.

Put a standard - not premium - oil in where it is needed, after draining (and leaving overnight to drain fully, including turning over the engine 'briefly' to clear the pump and tubes when there is nothing in there). Take it for a short spin, no thrashing under load but get to temperature and work through the full gears. Then drain and change whatever filter(s) are in the schedule.

At most this will set you back about 15 quid for the engine and a tenner for the gearbox.

Your engine will love you for another 100000 miles if you keep to this.

My crunchy manual gearbox has been cured with 2 oil changes 20k apart.
Well worth it.

Same with the 'notchy' PAS.

Agree with CH. Modern oils do a great job of keeping things clean, just need to have appropriate change intervals.