Fandango

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen I-DTEC
Hi all.

I have a problem with a noise from cold;

Facelift 7th Gen

Seems to be getting gradually worse, but is not consistent.

A kind of old school diesel rattly noise on light throttle / low revs, getting less as the car warms up.

Today I have done the cracked exhaust manifold check (as I can only see 2 bolts on my heatshield, does this mean this has been upgraded at some point?), and there is no evidence of fumes. I have also inspected around the injectors, for any sign of leakage, again, no evidence whatsoever.

Any ideas?

Cheers Carl

The "book" refers to a diesel heater that may make noise, somewhere in the exhaust system? no idea what it is supposed to do but some one on here will know.

no idea what's causing the noise, and I've no idea if/where the diesel heater is on the Accord, but AFAIK a "diesel heater" helps to keep the diesel "thinner"

Scan0004_zps285c52d5.jpg

hope this helps?? sorry about the orientation, click on it to zoom and print?

edgeoftime said:
Scan0004_zps285c52d5.jpg

hope this helps?? sorry about the orientation, click on it to zoom and print?
if you click on the picture in your photobucket, then click on "edit" in photobucket, there is a "picture rotate" button (or something like that). When you have rotated it, click on "save". If the picture has been rotated in photobucket but does not appear rotated here, that's because the PC/laptop/tablet is using a locally cached image (requires the image to be flushed from the browser).

Anyway .....that "diesel heater" is nothing to do with the engine, it's a feature of the aircon in the diesel, which is different from the aircon in the petrol. The aircon in the petrol is a straightforward standard system, but in the diesel the layout is a complex mess with the pressure sensor and a valve both located down in front of the condenser, exposed to everything from the road (which is why there are more aircon issues in the diesel car). Reason for this complexity is so that the aircon can run in either direction. It can run in reverse when outside temperatures are very cold (acts as a heat pump), simply because the diesel engine takes longer to warm up.

edit: where it says on the page "you may hear some noise from the engine compartment", I would expect that to be a "gushing" noise from when the refrigerant starts to run in reverse, like when you start up a freezer that's been switched off for several days.

This could merely be a little misfuelling on slightly worn injectors showing itself up in the cold? Mine sounds like a classic diesel for a few minutes when it gets really cold, but not at the moment.

Yes, 2 heatshield bolts = revised manifold.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Have now run the car from cold, with heating / aircon switched off, there is no difference in noise.

My thoughts are turning towards a fuelling issue.

Have been thinking of getting Fahad to cast his magic over it with a little tweaking, so this could improve things anyway.

freddofrog said:
if you click on the picture in your photobucket, then click on "edit" in photobucket, there is a "picture rotate" button (or something like that). When you have rotated it, click on "save". If the picture has been rotated in photobucket but does not appear rotated here, that's because the PC/laptop/tablet is using a locally cached image (requires the image to be flushed from the browser).

Anyway .....that "diesel heater" is nothing to do with the engine, it's a feature of the aircon in the diesel, which is different from the aircon in the petrol. The aircon in the petrol is a straightforward standard system, but in the diesel the layout is a complex mess with the pressure sensor and a valve both located down in front of the condenser, exposed to everything from the road (which is why there are more aircon issues in the diesel car). Reason for this complexity is so that the aircon can run in either direction. It can run in reverse when outside temperatures are very cold (acts as a heat pump), simply because the diesel engine takes longer to warm up.

edit: where it says on the page "you may hear some noise from the engine compartment", I would expect that to be a "gushing" noise from when the refrigerant starts to run in reverse, like when you start up a freezer that's been switched off for several days.

tHANK YOU FOR THAT IF ONLY ALL OF US WERE AS WELL INFORMED AS YOU!!
Scan0004_zps285c52d5.jpg

edgeoftime said:

tHANK YOU FOR THAT IF ONLY ALL OF US WERE AS WELL INFORMED AS YOU!!
Scan0004_zps285c52d5.jpg
Cheers guys

Diesel engines are designed to work efficiently and thes engine are sensitive to oil and its related issues. Recently I noticed more noisy and sluggish engine. Took to honda and they said yiur oil level is low. Since that top up engines runs smooth.

I myself have a detail major servuce and car is silent as new.